September 10, 2011

The fullness of our days




   About half of our gang is sick with lumps in our throats and sneezes.  This morning our plans for fellowship and lunch had to be cancelled.  We have been taking turns resting.  I think I can legitimately say that I feel the worst of the bunch, but it comes in waves.  I'll feel pretty good for a while, then I'll feel run down and have to stop and rest.  A bowl of tomato soup and saltine crackers on the side was just what the doctor ordered, and just the kind of simple lunch we needed today. 

   This summer I actually got to enjoy keeping my laundry under control.  I even marveled that I was able to get it all folded and put away and it wasn't a burden anymore.  Things have changed since the school year began.  Much of my time is consumed with homeschooling and just maintaining other things.  Laundry seems to be the easiest thing to put off.  Last night I had a bed full of not only Fridays loads, but also the loads from Wednesday, I had to do it!  Even though I like to take Friday night off and just relax and have fun with my family, I had to get caught up.  One consolation was that I could bring my laptop in my room and listen to the sermons on the will of God that our pastor has been preaching.  I missed three Sundays because I was either sick or in the nursery.  It took me the length of one sermon to get it all done.  I think it was time well spent in more ways than one.  Believe me, I'm already thinking of how I might do things differently to prevent a Friday night of putting away laundry.  Hopefully next week will be better!

   Friday was just so...full.  Amera had tests all day and by the time dinner rolled around, we had still not taken our Spanish test.  We decided to wait until the house was quieter and more conducive to concentration.  So there we were taking our test on Friday evening, something very unusual for us.  I think both of us were a little brain-fried after the busy day we had.  I'm just glad we got it done and now I know what I need to work on next week.  My husband said that when he was learning Greek, he actually had to go back and learn the sentence structure of English.  Indirect objects, transitive verbs, prepositions.  All those things he had not really thought about since high school.  But you need this understanding to grasp how the language works.  I need to make sure I thoroughly understand these things before I can progress.  Amera, on the other hand, is doing well.  I think part of that is the fact that she is immersed in learning the structure of the English language as well.  I am realizing that I need to get more serious about my Spanish studies.  


   Javier has really made some headway on his doctrinal statement.  I think it totals about 26 pages at this point.  Many hours of study and meditation on biblical truths.  Asking "What does the Bible say about this?"  and "Can I explain this truth with wholehearted conviction?"  I really appreciate his heart for knowing God and taking the time to study these things out.  I have also appreciated our conversations about what we are learning and solidifying in our minds over a cup of coffee.  We are really wrestling with things and I am not afraid to just say "I don't get this."  There are some truths about God that baffle me.  I understand that God ways are higher than mine and my finite mind cannot grasp everything there is to know.  But I really want to understand those things that he has revealed.



   After mealtime, messy clothes were removed and this cute little diapered guy took a dive into our bare couch cushions.  This couch has been through many years with our gang and conveniently I can remove the covers and wash them when I need to.  I also get to enjoy the cuteness of Manny chillin' out on the cushions with big sis.  I love the way she loves him.  She delights in playing with him and doesn't hesitate to meet his needs.  I love watching them interact.

   It's just hangin' out on the homefront for us tonight.  I think I'm feeling well enough to get in the kitchen and bake some manicotti for dinner, while Jav finishes mowing the lawn.  

   Preparations have been made for church tomorrow morning.  Although it seems I probably will not be going and a  few kiddos may be staying here with me.  At least we are ready, just in case we are feeling better.  

   We've been talking with the kids about 9/11, and if time and frame of mind allows I plan to discuss it further  after watching some video clips online.  Looking forward to family time together and a restful evening.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...