November 25, 2011

family togetherness


   It was a lovely day, and ordinary for the most part.  The usual routine, with the exception of some added cooking and baking.  The pumpkin pie was made after breakfast so that it would have time to chill in the fridge.  Then the guys got the turkey ready, as is our tradition.  Although, we still could not convince Javi to help with applying the "rub"!  He doesn't dare touch the turkey!  But he still learned a lot as he watched  and dad taught him all about it.  


The turkey was delish...thanks to Jav's "secret" rub!

   There were hugs, there were laughs, and there was the excitement that friends, a married couple would be joining us for dinner.  We cleaned, we prepared and amazingly enough we timed it well.  That didn't come without the practice of previous years (i.e. the failures!) and learning when it's best to begin.  I like to keep things as low-key as possible and just enjoy ourselves.  Time spent together is the main thing, not stressing over food.  I have to say, it really was fun getting everyone involved in one way or another.

Makin' our favorite rolls with Brienne.  Kids love getting their hands in flour and dough!  I do too!


Amera added some art to a verse I wrote on the board

Relaxing with a book is always a joy.



The kids love to peel apples with Amera, they ate the apple peels like candy!



It dawned on me that Amera has never made a pie crust.  This was the year to learn!
She did a great job at it.  : )


   The day was full of blessings.  I am certainly thankful for my many helpers that made preparing for a special dinner a whole lot easier for a very pregnant momma.  I definitely had to pace myself, doing a little here a little there and resting in between.  But it was all good, I managed to avoid getting completely exhausted.  This morning, I was up early with kiddos, there was a mixture of tidying up as well as playing, and being tempted to have a slice of pumpkin pie for breakfast...deciding instead to have it for a mid-morning snack. : ) 

   I started another blanket to practice the crinkle stitch I had learned.  I've made a lot of progress, but I'm sad to say I don't like it.  It's too tight and bulky.  Maybe it's the yarn I used?  I have mixed emotions about it.  I'm not sure if I'll ever finish it.  Amera had learned the waffle stitch the other day and today she taught it to me.  It's pretty easy to do and I really like the results.  I think I'll stick with the same kind of yarn I used on the first blanket, only a different color. 

   Looking forward to a slow-paced evening at home, spending time with family, and glad that dinner is already made, thanks to the leftovers in the fridge.  : )

   




    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...