November 22, 2011

moments to hold on to



   Our days are filled with the constant endeavor to make sure that each child completes their schoolwork, and that our home is clean and tidy.  It takes constant effort, and perseverance.  And in the middle of it all, I am learning to hold on tight to those little opportunities for closeness that could all too easily pass my by.  Yes, there are many things that need to be done in a day, but I find that I rarely regret it when I make the time to connect with the ones I love.  It's possible to go through an entire day, busy about what must get done and not really busy about connecting with the people I love most.  I want these days to be fewer and fewer in number.  I try to take advantage of even the smallest opportunities to connect and show my love.

   I do find that sometimes it is hard for me to achieve balance.  My children are with me just about each and every day, sometimes I feel tugged in so many directions.  Sometimes I need time to just be alone and not talk for a little while.  I have to be careful to discern when I really need this and when there might be a need they have that I should be meeting instead.  I remember to think of Jesus, who didn't see people as interruptions, especially not children!  Still, there are times where it is good for them to learn that sometimes they might just have to wait for mommy's undivided attention.  


   But then, there is the other side of the coin...I read somewhere (I think it was in one of my parenting books) that when a child is talkative and open to sharing things with you, you should take the time to listen to them.  Right there in that moment, not letting it pass you by.  I am learning to heed this advice and not put off talking about it, if at all possible.  It's better to talk to them about things when those things are pressing on their hearts and minds than to try and get them on the topic later in the day.  I've put off talking just because I was feeling the pressure to hurry up and get my kitchen clean and then found that my child was not as open to talking when I got around to it.  I am learning to be a better listener to them.  I am learning to give them more of my attention when they speak to me.  To pause what I am doing and make eye contact.  I am teaching them to do the same with one another.  It's one of the ways that we show our love.

Clara's baby dress that will soon be Isabel's

   I guess with both aspects considered, it's really comes down to mutual respect.  Each situation will have a unique approach.  The questions are, will I handle it with Christ-like love when I am interrupted and aim to put my loved ones first?  And, will my family handle it well when because of the circumstances, they have to wait for my attention?  We are each learning mutual respect and love in our own unique ways.  Day by day, we are growing to together as a family.  Oh, to be like Christ in every way!



   Yay!  I completed my first crocheted blanket!  This is the blanket that I started several months ago for Isabel.  It is so wonderfully soft and most of us have had our turn snuggling with it.  : )  I've already begun my next project...more on that later.  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...