February 20, 2012

"Hear ye! Hear ye!" {a "Parent Appreciation Banquet"}


   This past Saturday evening was the annual "Parent Appreciation Banquet".  My husband and I always consider this a very special date night.  It's also nice that it's right around Valentine's Day, so it ends up being a wonderful way to celebrate.

   This year the theme was set in medieval times.  The youth staff and youth group of our church had prepared for weeks to give us parents a night of fun, delicious food and drama.

   We dined within the castle walls with the King and Queen who sat at their royal table.  The skits were hilarious.  It was an evening full of laughs and not knowing what might happen next.

   Near the end of the evening, some of the parents sitting near us were struck with the realization that this would be the last of these banquets that they would attend because their young one's would be graduating from high school this year.  As for my husband and I, we may be enjoying them for years to come!  As long as we are here that is.  We don't really know where we'll be in the coming years or even months.  But does anyone really know?  Those details belong to God.

   At the end of the evening the youth pastor encouraged the parents from Deuteronomy chapter 6 to first love the Lord with all our heart and then to teach his word to our children.  Such a tremendous responsibility!  I know that my parenting will not be flawless, but in all I do and all. the. time. it boils down to this...

Love God.  
Teach my kids about him.

   Those are my instructions from God himself.  That is what I need to be passionate about.  That is what I need to pursue.

   After we heard from the youth pastor, each of the juniors and seniors stood before us and told their parents how much they appreciate them and what they are thankful to their parents for.  Gratitude toward one's parents has to be one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen and heard.  Some parents would give just about anything to hear such precious words spoken to them from the heart.

   I cried as I listened to them say things like..

You taught me...

You helped me...

You listened...

You pointed me to Christ...

You taught me how to respond biblically...

   As a parent, I was encouraged.  Encouraged to keep on giving and doing and loving.  The way I live each and every day matters.  It makes a difference.  And I couldn't help but think what my children might say if they stood up there.  What do they think of their mom and dad?  What will they be thankful for when it's all said and done?    These are sobering questions.  I know that even if I were to be the perfect parent (which is impossible) that does not guarantee their gratitude.  Just ask God about that one.  But I do know what God has told me to do.  I will love him.  And sometimes one of the ways I do that is by letting my children see that God is still working on me, just as he will be working on them their whole life through.

To all the youth staff and youth group, 
thank you for a very special evening!
We won't forget it!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...