March 28, 2012

I need this





You know, this is the kind of stuff that I just can't seem to get enough of.

Watching my husband play with his children...seeing them smile as big as ever when they are with him.  Hearing squeals of delight and the heartiest belly laughter as he tickles them as only a daddy can do.  

I know that I am blessed to have such a wonderful man as my husband.  But truth be told, sometimes I really struggle to be content.  Sometimes I focus too much on what I think is lacking and not enough on the abundance of blessing I experience every day.  It's harder when I don't see the hidden reality of my blessings live and in action before my eyes.  When life seems to get way too busy and we are mostly work and (in my opinion) not enough play.

I've been noticing that sometimes my perspective is skewed.  I think that sometimes my expectations are set higher for my husband than they are for myself.  I am learning to replace my "But you don't..." or "Why don't you...?" with "I'm so glad you... and "I love how you..."  None of us are perfect wives, husbands, mothers or fathers.  But we all need a little encouragement sometimes, don't we?

Sometimes I have marveled that my husband is so good at loving me the way I am.  Sure he brings things to my attention sometimes, but for the most part he just loves me and he doesn't complain.  The other day I was struggling.  I was feeling like a not so stellar housewife.  Feeling like I'm constantly keeping the plates spinning...and I wish my house was immaculate, orderly and super clean all the time.  And I know it's unrealistic, but I long for that feeling I used to have in the early days.  When I could have everything neat and tidy at the end of a long day and sit down on the couch with a sigh of relief and just gaze upon the room in all it's glorious neatness.  That experience is few and far between now.  

My husband saw that it was bothering me and after going through a series of emotionally trying circumstances of which I will spare you the details...he looked deep into my eyes (both of us teary eyed now) and he told me that I am amazing.  Ha!  Me? Amazing?  He told me I'm doing a great job.  And as much as I want to disagree...those words were so encouraging to me.  They make me want to keep doing all I can to be a keeper of my home and a joy to my family.   They make me want to conquer the world!...okay maybe just the laundry, but you know what I mean!  :)



1 comment:

  1. Very sweet post -- I think you're pretty amazing, too, by the way! The "all work -- not enough play" comment -- reminds me of my husband. It is so easy to get so busy with ministry that we don't take time to play with our kids and just have fun. I think my husband did a pretty good job at that -- but he would tell you that he wishes he had done more "fun" things with the kids. Good thoughts --

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...