March 31, 2012

some thoughts about Easter





The sun was setting.  It was nearly dark, around 8pm.  The children had a very full day with school work and playing and cleaning, yet they still had so much energy left!  How do they do it?!

They were expecting to get ready for bed soon, so I decided to do the unexpected.  I invited them to get their shoes on and play outside for a little while.

Holding Isabel, I decided to join them.  The evening breeze was refreshing.  The big sky, though it was gray and cloudy, brought a sense of calm.

I loved just being out there in my yard.  Watching the children run around hunting for eggs they had hidden.  Hunting in what little light they had left.  This may have been a first.  It felt good to do something unusual.

My children get so excited to see me sometimes.  What a treasure their love is!

"Mommy!  Mommy!"  So glad that I had stepped outside.  Small children ran up to me hugging my legs and showing me all the eggs they had found.

Egg hunts are such happy times.  It's a fun activity for the kids that is not really an "Easter" day thing for us.  We pull out the eggs some time in March and the kids just have them whenever they want to.  Then, when I get just a little tired of finding colored eggs everywhere and they have hunted to their hearts content (or maybe not?)  we gather all the eggs up and put them away until the following year.

I remember my early days as a Christian.  I questioned all of my traditions and practices.

Now that God ruled in my heart-the way that I lived certainly had to change in many ways.

I didn't want anything in my life to detract from God receiving the attention and honor he deserves.  I felt I had so much to learn about him and what was true and meaningful that I did not want any distractions getting in my way.  

So there were some things that we stopped doing at first, that now we do again.  Egg hunts being one of them.

Have you ever questioned what Easter really means?  Is it chocolate bunnies and a ton of candy in a basket on Easter morning?  Is it brightly colored eggs died with a "Paas" egg dye kit?

For the Christian, there is a significance to this occasion that goes far beyond those things.  Something far more wonderful and exciting.

We celebrate that our Lord Jesus Christ rose from death itself (the death he died for our sins) and he lives again!  He calls us to come to him to find rest for our souls and live with him forever.  

The eternal life he gives begins here and now.

Going to church on Easter Sunday is meaningless ritual if Christ is not the Lord of your life every single day of the year.

Jesus conquered sin and death.  For those who have faith in him there is no need to fear.  We know that our risen Lord has given us eternal life and we will live with him forever.  The death of these tired and worn bodies that we live in now, will mean an entrance into his glorious presence.  I can't wait to see him!


Though you have not seen him, you love him.
Though you do not now see him, you believe in him 
and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, 
obtaining the outcome of your faith, 
the salvation of your souls.
1 Peter 1: 8-9

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...