April 19, 2012

majarete {a coconut pudding}



Majarete [mah-hah-reh-teh] is a creamy pudding that really has a "wow" factor in my opinion.

My beautiful mother in law made it for us when we were visiting her former home in New Hampshire several years ago.

It's cooked in a saucepan, so the first time I tried it, it was warm.  I was very impressed with it's rich, creamy, coco nutty flavor.

The second sampling came the following morning when my husband and I found the leftovers in the fridge.  It was one of those exceptional times when we ate dessert before breakfast. (Now I'm much more disciplined and only sneak a bite or two ;) . We ate a little bowl of it cold and wonder of wonders it was even more amazing!  I like it both ways, but I have to say that cold is the best.

With a desire to duplicate pure goodness, I asked my mother in law for the recipe.  She not only gave me the recipe, she taught me how to make it, step by step.  Have I mentioned that I have an amazing mother in law?  At the bottom of the recipe card I wrote "We made this together Saturday, Jan. 21, 2006."  It wasn't until recent weeks that I finally took a crack at it.  And I am happy to report success!  In fact, I've probably made about one batch per week (it goes quickly in this house) and I am getting pretty close to being able to make it in my sleep!  :)

FYI:  I did a little research on majarete and found that there are many versions...for example Dominicans and Cubans make it with corn.  Puerto Ricans (like my husband's family) make it with coconut.  Turns out it's a common thing to like it both hot and cold and it's not so out of the ordinary to have a little upon waking up in the morning!  Okay, there, I don't feel so bad now.  :)

Try it, you just might find a new favorite!



majarete

ingredients:

1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can coconut milk
1 3/4 cup milk {divided}
1 cup rice flour
3 cinnamon sticks
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. butter 
1 cap full of almond extract


to whip up the creamy goodness:


step one:  In a 4 cup measuring cup, combine the sweetened condensed milk and the coconut milk.  Stir carefully to combine.  Add milk (approx. 3/4 cup) to this mixture and fill to the four cup line.  Add one capful of almond extract and stir to combine.

step two:  Place cinnamon sticks in a bowl (cereal bowl size) and add a little water...just enough to barely cover the cinnamon sticks.  Microwave for 30 seconds and then pour it into a large saucepan.  Add to this the one cup of milk and the salt and the butter.  Turn on the heat to medium-high.


step three:  Gradually add the rice flour to the milk mixture in the "four cup" measuring cup.  Stirring carefully and constantly to incorporate.  When the rice milk is completely incorporated, add it to the saucepan mixture.  Stir continuously to thicken.  This will take about 5 minutes.  You will notice it thickening somewhere between 3 and 4 minutes.  When I stir, I keep my wooden spoon in the center of the pan and stir rapidly with small circles, sometimes stirring around the outer edge of the pan.  Be careful not to slosh and make a mess.  :)  It will thicken like pudding.  The more you stir the thicker it gets.  I have noticed that my first batch was super thick...it was very good but for my next batch I stopped stirring sooner and it was just right.  It's really an experiment with consistency.  I like it both ways!


step four:  Using a ladle, pour the majarete into dessert bowls or you could store it in a large dish.  It's a good idea to retain the cinnamon sticks as they will continue to add delicious flavor while it sits in the refrigerator.  I like to put my dessert bowls in a large rectangular dish, a few of the dishes have the bonus of a cinnamon stick and I cover this with saran wrap.  Oh, and you can also garnish with a few sprinkles of cinnamon!  



¡BUEN PROVECHO!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...