May 4, 2012

framed "paint sample" calendar


Lately, I have been so inspired to create new things for my home.  I haven't really hung much on my walls in a long time.  It was a bit of a "minimalist period" for me.  

I am currently on quite a creative streak and have several projects going.  It all started with a desire to change the picture I had on my living room wall.  I love that painting, but it was time for a change.

My husband and I walked up and down Hobby Lobby looking for a replacement and nothing seemed "just right" for us.  We ended up settling on something and it was the following day that I began to get ideas.  I returned what we purchased.

First of all, my daughter is an artist.  She draws, she paints...why not implement her gifts and talents?  When she's finished with her paintings I will post some pictures.

We began with some frames we already owned and started thinking of ways to fill them.  Painting, crocheting letters to spell "Family" (that was fun), old keys hot-glued to fabric in the shape of a heart (Javi's idea) and more.

I started looking online for more art ideas.  I found some things I really liked.  I have developed a passion for taking something old and ugly and making it look beautiful.  This is the beginning of a fun adventure!



I raided the thrift store and found a bunch of frames, most of them less than $5.  I had the projects I wanted to do in my mind so I knew what sizes I was looking for.  The thought of painting them any color I wanted was a very exciting prospect.  My husband and I had a fun time picking out paint at Walmart late one night.



Say "bye bye!" to the bunny!

I sanded the frame with 220 grit sand paper, then wiped it clean with tack cloth.  Then the fun part...SPRAY PAINTING it!


Using the back of the original art, I began positioning my paint samples the way I wanted them.  


Once I decided on a layout, I began gluing it all together.  I used Elmer's school glue.  This worked fairly well, but I wonder if another glue might work even better.  There were a few puffy spots, but I put some weight on it overnight and it looks great.



Here is the finished product!  I wrote the days of the week with a Sharpie directly onto the paint samples before putting it into the frame.  Everything else is written with a dry-erase marker.  This easily wipes off the glass so that I can change it each month.

I will be hanging this in my kitchen.  The border will serve as a place to write reminders, to-do lists and things like that.  I like how they kind of look like little sticky notes.  :)

This project was so much fun!  There are different ways you could do it.  You could use the same color or two colors, there are so many possibilities.  You should try it! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...