June 18, 2012

Our little aspiring writer





I found them on the couch together.  Joelle was enjoying Javi's story called "The King".



It's amazing how a simple gesture can spark a flame.

I bought my son one of those little manuscript books.  The kind with the bold lines and little dashes running through the middle.  It also has a big space at the top for drawing a picture to illustrate the story.  He has loved it from the moment he received it.  He has written many little stories that have amused his parents and siblings alike.  Of course the pictures that he draws add to the amusement.

Writing in that book was only the beginning.  Almost every day now he staples several sheets of paper together to make a book.  And he writes and draws pictures in them.  Sometimes he writes "tragedies" like the one above.  They usually end in death.  Javi writes "he died, the End".  Oh and let's not forget the circled word "ded" with an arrow pointing to the deceased.  That is a common occurrence at the end of his books (as well as food smudges since he writes at the table ;)

It's funny, we don't always know what our kids will love and take off with.  We offer things to them with the hope that they will enjoy it and pursue it, but they are gifted in different ways.  As a mom, I've learned to let their unique gifts come out and to take more cues from them as to what they like and what they don't.  I've also learned to just chill out because all children are different and do not always enjoy the same things.

I still remember when I put my oldest daughter in a karate class at age four.  It didn't last because it turned out it was more what I wanted than what she wanted.  Maybe if I had been more thoughtful about her unique personality I wouldn't have signed her up.  Maybe it was at least worth a try in order to rule it out.  I really don't know.  But I do know that my attitude has changed from "I'm going to make you into something" to "God made you with unique gifts yet to be discovered".  Can you see the difference?  Sometimes it's a fine line.

It's not always easy knowing what to do, because sometimes our children just need a little prodding, teaching and correcting of poor attitudes.  Sometimes they want to quit and just need some encouragement to keep going.  But I'm referring more to those "extra" things that we want them to be able to do.  I don't fret so much anymore if one would rather spend their spare time reading than painting.  Or if one would rather practice design on the computer than bake.  Their gifts become clear in time.  I'm just doing my best to provide the tools so that they can be discovered.  And when they are, what a blessing it is!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...