July 20, 2012

I was a thief until God made me rich


I remember a dream I used to have frequently when I was a young girl.  I would find myself surrounded by brightly colored treasures or gobs of money.  And the funny thing about it, is that I would have an awareness that I was, in fact, dreaming.  Yet I was convinced (at least in my dream state) that if I held the treasure close, I could will myself to wake up and then poof the treasure would be there with me, in my bed.  And it would be the most wonderful thing that ever happened to me!

I was a greedy little thing.  And I wanted things the easy way.  Just dream it and it's mine.

Well, my dreams never delivered, but there were other ways.

Like shoplifting.  I would walk into a store, grab what I wanted and walk back out again.  I did this with jackets, clothes, shoes, make-up and candy.  The candy I even sold to kids at school...had to make a profit you know.  I had my own little business.

This getting something for nothing was a thrill.  And I was getting away with it.  I thought I was pretty smart with all my tactics.  I'd tuck in my shirt, wear a big jacket and stuff my shirt full of candy.  That was at a gas station on the way to school.  I'd walk into a department store, slip on a pair of shoes or a jacket and walk right out wearing my loot.  Everything was going great.  It was like a dream come true...until...I got caught.

First, my parents found evidence in the form of letter.  There it was in plain writing, I can't remember if it was what I had done or what I had planned to do but either way, it was incriminating.  I was grounded for an entire summer.  This was bad, but not bad enough to stop me.  

Next, I was caught by an undercover officer, stealing a tube of lipstick.  Little did I know, he was watching my every move and when I walked out of the store with that lipstick in my pocket, he followed me.  I was put in the back of a police car while they contacted my parents.  This was on an Air Force base, mind you, and I was such a hardened criminal that I didn't even care that this stealing of mine would reflect poorly on my dad or that he would be hearing about it from his superiors.  This was all about me and getting what I wanted, no matter what it cost anyone else.  That is the horror of sin.  It destroys.  And often the most unsuspecting victim is you.

The last time I remember shoplifting was at a mall.  It was shoes.  I walked right out of Mervyn's with a stylish pair of duds and an undercover officer walked out with me.  They brought me back to the room with all their little black and white TV's and my heart sank as I watched my friend, looking scared, looking around the store for anyone who might be watching her while she flung hangers across the rack in an effort to look like a casual shopper.  The expression on her face made an indelible imprint on my mind.  I felt so sorry.  This didn't seem "worth it" anymore.  The fact is, it never was.

You know, it's strange, but I don't think my parents were ever contacted about that one.  All I remember is that they let us go home.  I walked about seven miles that day.  That's all I remember of it.

That was the last time I shoplifted, and it wouldn't be until years later, as a Christian adult, that I would feel true grief over what I did.  I felt such sorrow for what I put my parents through...for how I grieved God...

Even as an adult, opportunities for greed have presented themselves.  Like, several years ago when the cable guy came to trouble-shoot our internet connection and told us that we actually had a cable connection that we could use without paying for it...

Or not long ago, when the exterminator guy tells us that if we call the company about those bees getting in the house to just say we have an ant problem instead of a bee problem because they charge $100 for bee problems but it's the same chemical (but wouldn't that be lying Mr. Exterminator man?)...

(Shouldn't these guys be more faithful to the companies they work for?)

Or a few months ago, when I walked out of Walmart with some item in my cart under my purse that was unintentionally not payed for.  I admit, the only temptation I felt here was related to the fact that I didn't want to have to go back in and get in line again!  I was tired and wanted to go home.  But I knew it was the right thing to do.

I loaded up my stuff in my car and I walked right back in to Walmart to pay for that item.  The cashier seemed surprised that I would come back in to pay for such a small thing and I wanted to tell her...it's because I love God that I came back...I wanted to give all the glory to him.  Maybe I was too afraid of sounding cheesy...so I just smiled.  It was such a quick process, and she had other customers...but part of me wanted to climb up on the conveyor belt (ok, maybe not the conveyor belt that could be dangerous! ;) and shout for all the shoppers to hear "I am no longer a thief!  And it's all because of Jesus!"  And I felt such a wonderful peace, because I have a clear conscience before God.  And in my heart I know that eternal treasure is far better than any of this stuff here on earth.  I pray I never forget it.

Do not love the world or the things in the world.
If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father
is not in him.  For all that is in the world--
the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes
and pride in possessions--is not from the Father
but is from the world.  And the world is passing 
away along with its desires, but whoever does the
will of God abides forever.  1 John 1:15-17

For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ,
that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor
so that you by his poverty might become rich.
2 Corinthians 8:9


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...