May 11, 2013

Running {writing prompt}

[The cleanest and tidiest my kitchen has ever been was for this photograph...it doesn't look this way now!]


All of this packing, painting, cleaning, and moving things around can really wear a person out!  You've probably experienced it...when after you've been working hard all day long you decide to sit down for just a few minutes suddenly you feel as if you are glued to the chair!  It's not a very good feeling when you realize that you can barely move and maybe you could if only you had a little motivation.  There comes a point when your mind and body are exhausted and even though you know there is so much to do, you just don't know what to do next.

I love diving into things and tackling a project.  I love the satisfaction of improving things and making things look better.  The thing is, I get so "in the zone" with what needs to be done and I get so focused on seeing it accomplished that I might overlook other important things.  I can get so "Go, go, go!" and "Let's do it now" that I have a hard time setting aside the work to just enjoy life.

You know, it's that moment when it hits you that you have not hugged your oldest daughter in three days because she is rarely demanding attention.  And the thought occurs to you that she has been doing so much to help and you haven't even let her know how much you appreciate her.  I cannot get so wrapped up in the work I need to accomplish that I don't do that.

It's difficult for me to pull away from "work mode".  Even if it means going out for a bit and having some fun!  Thankfully, I have a husband who knows when I need to step away and who won't take "no" for an answer ;)   But my first reaction (in my mind) is to refuse to leave the house because I have to keep working!  I have a mental checklist in my mind of all the things I feel suddenly pressured to accomplish.  I know the time it takes.  But I also know that even though these things need to be done, I still have a husband who needs me to just stop, look into his eyes and slow down for a bit.  I have children who need me to tell them something else besides what to do next.  To laugh and enjoy their company and to take the time to teach them about God.  Isn't that the thing that we always move to the back-burner when we get busy?  For shame.  I let it go for a while, but enough was enough.  Thank you, Lord, for reminding me to slow down and get my priorities straight.

Things are flowing pretty smoothly at this point.  Just a few more things to do today and then it's pretty much back to normal.  Slowing down a bit will be good...at least for a little while.  :)


Linking up for the writing prompt here: http://www.ellenstumbo.com/nina-runs-with-her-mama/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...