July 11, 2013

An eventful trip to the laundromat



Yesterday was momentous.  My husband and I made our first trip to a laundromat in about 16 years.  Sure, it's not exactly every one's "ideal" experience.  But I am really seeing the benefits.

For one thing, we washed four loads of laundry at the same time.  I finally got the change machine to work and it pumped out twenty dollars in quarters for us (for some reason, it didn't like my other bills).

During the washing I sat with my husband in bright orange chairs and we drank our cokes.  In between sips I read some of the passages I had marked in a book I am reading, "Revival" by Martin Lloyd-Jones.  I am really gleaning from this book and being challenged, motivated and encouraged.


It wasn't the quietest atmosphere...with little children running around and the coins clanking out of the coin machine but it was refreshing to sit and chat...it was a date in a sense.

It came to a point, as we were waiting for our clothes to finish drying, that a young man came in to do his laundry.  We had friendly conversation with him.  We were getting to know him, he knew we were new to the area but the reason why we had come was not yet stated.  It's important to us that when we first meet someone that we allow a little time for them to see us as real people.  People that they can talk to, interact with, laugh with and most of all that we genuinely care about them.  And that we will listen to them share about themselves. We are not trying to hide who we are, it's just that mentioning that we are pastor and pastor's wife right off the bat can really tend to shut people down and turn them away.

So we waited until he asked the question.  And it was an exciting transition in the conversation because I knew that I did not want to leave that day without extending ourselves to this man.  An invitation to church or just to get together with he and his wife for a cup of coffee and to talk.  And my husband did just that.  And this young man seemed very interested in getting in touch with us again.  It's not about just getting him in through the church door though, it's about developing a relationship with him and showing him that Christ loves him too.  Although, he did show great interest in coming to our church.

My husband had the opportunity of sharing the gospel with him right there in the laundromat.  I still remember early on in the conversation that the man was saying that he had never really been to church and I remember part of my husband's response to him.

"Anyone can change..."  Wow, what a statement full of hope!  It doesn't matter if you've never had a single thought toward God your whole life through.  This is not some exclusive club that you cannot gain entrance into.  I used to think that, you know.  And thank God he didn't turn my desperate soul away!  God invites all to turn to him and receive forgiveness and eternal life through faith in Christ.

The true light, which gives light to everyone, was coming into the world.  He was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world did not know him.  He came to his own and his own people did not receive him.  But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.  John 1:9-13

When my husband and I got in the car to leave, we were both smiling from ear to ear.  "That was awesome!" I exclaimed.

I just love the beauty of the gospel!  Don't you?

Pray for this man, his wife and their newborn baby boy.  I sure do hope to meet them, and see this man again in the near future!






1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...