September 16, 2011

A desire for more


   "Mommy these are for you."  Can there be anything sweeter?  Every treasure given gets placed on the window sill in our kitchen.  A perfect place to display things...for as long as they will last.  I have received seeds, strange purple berry clusters from some tree in our backyard, and of course those yellow "flowers" that I don't bother mentioning are actually weeds.  They think they are beautiful flowers to pick for mommy.  They'll find out about the weed thing later. ;)



   We may have been sick at the start of this week, but not so sick that we couldn't keep up with our schoolwork.  Much can be accomplished, even when under a warm and fuzzy blanket.  Everyone found their own cozy spot and settled in with their books.


   This past week has held such a wide array of emotions and thoughts, concerns and resolutions, and wonderful joys of just being a wife and a mother.  I have so many hopes for our family and for our children as individuals.  Sometimes I worry that I'm not doing enough, then I reason that I'm doing what I can, then I conclude that there is so much more I need to do.  Lately I feel a need for change in some areas of our life.

    For example, I'm thinking of minimizing the time spent on Wii (video games) even more.  We really do try to be disciplined with our use of it, but we are finding that it tends to be the default lately and a half hour per kid really adds up!  "My schoolwork is done-so can I play on the Wii?"  Sometimes it's a good fit sometimes not.  Sometimes a blessing, other times a curse.  I have already experienced in my life how out of hand something like that can get.  I don't want that.  I don't want it to be a prominent feature in our home either.  

   I'm just considering the possibilities of all that we would have more time for if we didn't use our time on it.  More talking and laughing together, more playing and doing, learning and accomplishing, and experiencing real adventures.  I'm not saying that video games are always bad, I'm just thinking about how precious and valuable our time is.  Sometimes that time feels wasted when it is spent on video games.  On a positive note, sometimes we have fun together as a family by playing with each other.  Even now, just as I am typing this, Javi's sisters are clapping and cheering him on as he plays.  It's tough for me, sometimes I feel it contributes, sometimes it takes away.  


   Our Wii use is not the only thing I'm evaluating.  I'm also evaluating when it's best for me to have the computer on and when it's best to just turn it off and put it away.  I'll be honest with you, it beckons me.  "Research that topic...get some writing accomplished...read that article...check email...check Facebook..."  Even though these things are not a waste of time for me, I am learning when and when not to use my time for these things.  I have just got to give more to these precious kiddos who quite honestly cannot seem to get enough of their momma lately (in a good sense).  I'm really just striving to put first things first.  Sometimes refraining, even from something good, is best.  Especially when it comes to my family and them knowing that they come first.  I do think it's important for mommies to have time for their personal pursuits, all I'm saying is I need to be more disciplined about when that time should be.


   The other day I had to leave for about thirty minutes to get a few groceries.  On the way out Joelle followed me out the door and said "Bye mommy, we'll miss you."  I had to smile.  My kids enjoy being with me, what a blessing!  I mean seriously!  This is something I definitely want to nurture in them.  A couple of days ago, after dinner, Javi came up to me and gave me the sweetest little hug and kiss and said "I love being with you mommy"  then he smiled and said "I don't want you to ever leave the house."  I laughed out loud.  I think he knew I would.  He enjoys making me laugh...just like his daddy.

   Sometimes I do feel drained and I need to recharge my batteries.  The kids are accustomed to mommy going out from time to time.  Like Tuesday morning...I gave instructions and answered questions up until the time I walked out the door for Titus Two Time at church.  I had to leave right around the time that Jav was waking up (8:30am) and as I walked out the door I quickly gave my final instructions.  I actually had to stop one of my children mid sentence and say "Talk to dad, I have to go!"  I couldn't be late!  Thankfully I made it on time.  The time I spent with other women was sweet and refreshing as we discussed how we can better apply the teaching in Titus chapter two of older women teaching younger women.  It was a blessing.  But I still get excited about coming back home to be with my loved ones.  Home is definitely where my heart is.  




   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...