October 1, 2011

Time with my mom makes a great birthday gift!


   The past couple times that mom has come to visit, something out of the ordinary has been taking place at our house.  The last time she came, we had fans on the floor in an effort to dry our carpet after an emergency cleaning from our local Stanley Steemer.  Not exactly the kind of thing you want to have going on when family comes to visit.  But mom didn't seem to mind a bit.  She even had a little fan in her car that she contributed in order to help the drying along.  

   This time...well...remember how I mentioned the dirt road in front of our house?  I had wondered when they would begin repaving.  It began yesterday, the day of my mom's arrival.  When she attempted to turn onto our street, the men working there told her that she would have to go around.  After she went around the men on the other side told her she would have to park in the yard of one of our neighbors.  After telling the man that she didn't think our neighbors would appreciate that...they decided to give it a try and see about allowing her to get to her destination.  We were glad she made it and that we can laugh a little about the whole ordeal!  We greeted her with smiles and hugs.   

   The kids really enjoy spending time with their Gramma.  They were so excited about her coming and now that she is here they are thrilled!  They spent some time playing outside together with some bouncy balls Gramma brought for them, lots of talking and laughing and just enjoying being together.  

   Jav came home in the nick of time to sit down for a spaghetti and meatball dinner.  We have been getting a bit spoiled with him being on day shift this week.  The whole experience of him coming home around dinner time and being greeted by excited cheers from the kids has been priceless.  Normally when he comes home from work, we are all in bed snoozing.  

   It wasn't long before we began to wind down for the evening.  The kids were so anxious to try out the PlayDoh that Gramma brought for them.  We actually haven't played with the stuff in a while, so it was a nice treat for them.  Manny was supercharged about it and thought his green "snake" was the greatest thing!  He was so excited about his PlayDoh that he ended up in tears a couple times when something didn't go the way he wanted it to.  Has anyone else noticed the way a two year old can go from zero to sixty in two seconds?  He's learning to talk it out and communicate his feelings, bit by bit, day by day.  I often coach him through the process. 



I always enjoyed making "impressions" in PlayDoh when I was a kid.  I love the way it smells too.

   
Brienne and Gramma sculpted together.
   

   This was my craft of choice.  I admit, I was pretty tired last night.  The laundry still needed folding, and it wouldn't be long before I went back to bed.  But one more feel of the yarn in my fingers was sheer delight.  The music of Pachelbel Canon added to the relaxing atmosphere and the sounds of happy children made me smile.  They couldn't wait to blow up the air mattress they would be sleeping on while Gramma is here.  They gave up their bedroom for her.  Honestly...not much of a sacrifice, since they LOVE camping out in the living room!  I felt a tinge of sadness for Manny who so wanted to be a part of it all, but I knew that the best place for him was his crib.  I don't think anyone would have rested easy with all of his energy in the living room!  

   Looking forward to my birthday today...I am the only one up right now in this houseful of sleeping loved ones.  Hmmm...maybe I should whip up my favorite pancake recipe?  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...