November 19, 2011

music to my ears


   As a mom, I often wonder if I am getting through to my children.  Each and every day is filled with opportunities to train them to think, and act in a way that honors God.  I try to be patient when I must teach the same lessons to them over and over again.  It can be frustrating at times, but it is definitely worth the effort.  

   Recently, one of the things I have been stressing to the kids is that how you obey your parents matters.  If they go and do the thing I told them to do, but they do it with slumped shoulders and pouty face, that shows a lack of submission and a lack of willing obedience.  

   In Brienne's "Health" book this week, the lesson was about helping your mother, particularly in the kitchen or with setting the table and things like that.  I took the opportunity to help her to see the difference in responses she might have to being given a task.  We acted it out.  I demonstrated to her how sweet it sounds to say "Sure mommy, I'd be glad to!"  It shows a willing obedience, an attitude of service and it shows love.  

   She must have thought on this a bit, because yesterday when I told her to do something, she responded this way.  In two separate instances she cheerfully said "I'd be glad to mommy!"  Wow!  I love it!  I admit, it is not always easy to teach children to respond in the right ways or say the right things at the right time.  It is a constant work in progress.  And we have sooo much work to do.  But it was neat to see how she took this to heart.  

  

   Yesterday, I was sitting on the couch folding laundry.  Brienne came over and sat next to me.  Much to my surprise, Brienne began matching up the socks and tossing them into the clothes baskets.  I sat there smiling to myself and thinking "Wow, this is great, I didn't even tell her to help."  
   
Then she spoke up and cheerfully stated "I'm doing what my teacher said to do."
To which I replied "Oh?  What's that?"
"I'm taking initiative!"

God bless Sunday School teachers for laboring to back up what we are teaching at home!   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...