December 23, 2011

When a family comes together


   Before I went into the hospital for Isabel's birth, and now that I am home, it seems that our family has been taking turns being ill.  We have all been in "survival mode", just doing what we have to do to make sure every one's needs are being met and doing our best to keep the laundry and everyday messes under control.  

   When something needs to be done, the question that runs through my mind is "Who is the most able-bodied person at the present moment?"  It often varies as we are all recovering in different ways.  But somehow there always seems to be at least one person to meet whatever need there is.



   Aside from meeting needs and making sure we don't get buried under toys and laundry, we are finding much time to just relax, time to sit and talk, time to read, and definitely time to crochet.  I've been finishing up a couple projects and Amera has been working on some fun things that I will post about soon.


   One thing that is a little challenging to get back in to though, is gathering around God's Word.  When you're whole world seems to be flipped upside down and your schedule is completely out of whack, people tend to go from one activity to another and the family is often spread about the house, each doing one thing or another.  

   A couple of days after I came home from the hospital, I was longing for our family to come together and get our thoughts and hearts focused on God.  I proposed a time of singing.  We all gathered in the living room and I asked Amera to open the hymnal and lead us.  We sang Christmas hymns.  Some of us know all the words, some of us only know the chorus.  Some of us sing on key, some don't.  It's not like we have a perfect little choir going on here, but it was still a sweet time together.

I will sing to the Lord as long as I live;
I will sing praise to my God while I have my being.
May my meditation be pleasing to him, 
for I rejoice in the LORD.
Psalm 104:33-34


   My heart was refreshed and encouraged.  How could it not be?  Singing wonderful truths about my Lord and Savior.  I am transported high above all illness and pain, all stress and mess, and my thoughts are toward Him.  Times like this strengthen me, I sense our family is fortified.  It sets a tone of thankfulness and praise.

My lips shout for joy,
when I sing praises to you;
my soul also, which you have redeemed. 
Psalm 71:23

   Silent night is one of those songs that is so familiar to us.  It seems that most people know it and many people who would never give a second thought to Jesus are found singing along during the Christmas season. I was one of those people.  I have known this song since the days of my youth and I remember singing it.  But  I never knew what I was singing.  I always thought of it as just another Christmas song right along with Jingle Bells.  It had absolutely no meaning for me.  Until I came to know Jesus.  He is my Lord, He is my Savior and these words are very dear to my heart.  I love the third verse...

Silent night, holy night
Son of God, love's pure light
Radiant beams from thy holy face
With the dawn of redeeming grace
Jesus, Lord at thy birth
Jesus, Lord at thy birth.

   Singing together as a family is something that I definitely want to do more.  Why should life get so hectic that doing such meaningful things end up being so sporadic?  Sometimes you just have to put everything else on hold and make it happen.

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly,
teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, 
singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, 
with thankfulness in your 
hearts to God.  Colossians 3:16

   





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...