December 21, 2011

Holding Isabel in our arms


   Everything went very well with my C-section.  I was thankful for an anesthesiologist who took the time to sit with me and explain everything that was going to happen to me.  It prepared me and took the questions out of my mind.  I was awake during the whole procedure and things went very smoothly.  

   I remember Isabel crying as soon as she came out, and this is the cry that all mother's and father's love to hear.  I lay there smiling, unable to see anything beyond the curtain, but knowing that she was alive and well.  

   Soon, my husband was holding her next to me, and I was able to see my sweet little one for the first time.  I would hold her...as soon as I could.

 

 Sweet little Isabel.  She's beautiful and we delight in her.  Her sweet baby scent, the funny faces she sometimes makes.  Even just watching her sleep.  Amera, Joelle, and Brienne often ask to hold her.  Jav has a hard time letting her go.  Manny has been "adjusting" from day one, and Javi and Clara are just along for the ride, carrying on as normal and giggling when Isabel does something amusing.


   The best way to describe Manny is simply "emotional".  He has not been jealous or mean spirited, just emotional.  When the family came to visit me in the hospital, he did not want me to hold him.  He was affectionate toward Isabel, but he was easily upset.  It was like he was literally going through "growing pains." I have had a two year old with almost every new baby (except the first two) and we always go through this  "transition period." They don't know if they want to hug me or not.  Maybe I'm a bit intimidating in my hospital gown or something?  I could definitely see that Manny was having a hard time processing everything.  Finally, toward the end of the visit he sat next to me on my bed and I did my best to assure him that he's still my sweet little man and I love him.  But all relationships must grow and change.  He's two and certainly no longer the "baby" of the family.




   Isabel sleeps very well.  During the day.  But at night, somewhere between 10pm and 1am, she suddenly has a hard time sleeping.  What is it about those nighttime hours that makes it so hard for babies to sleep?  Funny, how during the day we make all the noise we normally do and she sleeps right through it, but last night I tried so hard to get her to stay content in her crib, that I found myself tip-toeing out of her room.  It seemed that just as soon as I drifted off to sleep, her cries would yank me back. She wanted her pacifier, but we just couldn't get it to stay in her mouth where it belonged!  I even made a little prop with a rolled up receiving blanket in an attempt to hold it in, but we still had trouble.  Attempt after attempt resulted in me thinking that her bouncer would make a very nice bed for the rest of the night.  Isabel didn't agree with me.  

   The most comfortable bed for little Isabel was to be mommy's arms.  We snuggled up in the big blue recliner in the girl's room and fell asleep together.  It wasn't how I had intended to spend the night.  But it sure was sweet.  Tonight she's in her crib again...so far, so good.






2 comments:

  1. Loved the pictures, Marisha. Cannot wait to meet her. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet pictures -- someone needs to invent a way to keep the pacifier in and the baby safe! Get well and strong!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...