January 16, 2012

Longing for...His rules?



   Rules. 

   Just the thought of them can make people uncomfortable.  Rules can sometimes seem to be strict, oppressive, and harsh.  

   I can remember a time in my life when I questioned which rules were valid and I kept some and broke others which resulted in me making up my own rules.  As a natural born rebel, I chafed under rules.  It seemed that the absence of rules meant freedom.  I was so deceived.

   The day I became a Christian, I was overwhelmed by God's forgiveness.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that Christianity was not cold and lifeless.  I found out that Christianity involves the most beautiful relationship imaginable.  A relationship based on love.  The love of God extended to me which resulted in my love toward him.  Jesus Christ obeyed the rules perfectly, my faith in him saved my law-breaking soul from condemnation.  It is new life that he has given me!  I was bound by my sin and now I am free!

   Yes, but free to do what?  My own thing?  No.  I have been freed from sin to do His thing.

   In my early days as a Christian I would often say "Being a Christian is not a bunch of dos and don'ts."  But is that really true?  In a sense yes and in a sense no.  What I was trying to express was that being a Christian is a God-initiated relationship that is full of life, joy, and peace.  I was trying to express that I didn't just decide one day to follow some list of do this and don't do that.  I was responding to the work of the Holy Spirit of God in my heart.  I was making choices based upon the desire to do what he says is right not what I thought was right.

   My heart was completely and utterly changed and made new!  All the foolishness of my own "rules" was made so clear to me.  My eyes were opened to the perfection, beauty, and preciousness of the rules of God.

    This relationship was begun by faith in the One who made all the rules.  And when God took on human flesh he kept all the rules.  We are the ones who cannot.  And that is precisely the point.  That is why Jesus came to save us.

We are hopeless law-breakers without him!

   His rules show us our need for a Savior from our law-breaking condition.  But once we are set free from bondage, we are not free to continue being law-breakers.   His law is holy, perfect and eternal.  Just as he is.  His law still governs, his law is still righteous.

   "Rules" are mentioned seventeen times in Psalm 119.  I love this Psalm!  Amera and I decided to take a little break from Colossians and study it this week.  It begins with the word "Blessed."
In other words you could say "Happy"...

Blessed are those whose way is blameless, 
who walk in the law of the LORD!

Walking in the law of the LORD, his rules governing us, guiding us, this is the way of true happiness!

Notice what the psalmist says about rules...

I will praise you with an upright heart,
when I learn your righteous rules. (vs.7)

With my lips I declare
all the rules of your mouth. (vs. 13)

My soul is consumed with longing
for your rules at all times.  (vs. 20)

I have chosen the way of faithfulness;
I set your rules before me.  (vs. 30)

Turn away the reproach that I dread,
for your rules are good.  (vs. 39)

And take not the word of truth utterly out
of my mouth, for my hope is in your rules.  (vs. 43)

When I think of your rules from of old, 
I take comfort, O LORD.  (vs. 52)

At midnight I rise to praise you, 
because of your righteous rules.  (vs. 62)

I know, O LORD, that your rules are righteous,
and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me.  (vs. 75)

I do not turn aside from your rules,
for you have taught me.  (vs. 102)

I have sworn an oath and confirmed it,
to keep your righteous rules.  (vs. 106)

Accept my freewill offerings of praise, O LORD,
and teach me your rules.  (vs. 108)

Righteous are you, O LORD,
and right are your rules.  (vs. 137)

Great is your mercy, O LORD;
give me life according to your rules.  (vs. 156)

The sum of your word is truth
and every one of your righteous rules
endures forever.  (vs. 160)

Seven times a day I praise you
for your righteous rules.  (vs. 164)

Let my soul live and praise you,
and let your rules help me.  (vs. 175)

  God's rules are righteous, they are good, and they are unchanging.  We cannot get around the fact that rules  tell us what we should and shouldn't do.  But this should be something we praise God for, not something we disdain.  Following a list of "dos and don'ts" is cold and lifeless if you have not first placed your faith and trust in Christ for the forgiveness of your sins and surrendered to him as Lord of your life.  For that is where our close walk with him begins.  After that, we should be able to to say with the psalmist

"My soul is consumed with longing for your rules at all times."



1 comment:

  1. I like this:

    We are hopeless law-breakers without him!

    and this:

    "My soul is consumed with longing for your rules at all times."

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...