January 31, 2012

when small things are big to me


   Today was my first day to go out walking again.  At 9am my husband (who works second shift) woke up and Amera, Joelle and I donned our sneakers, did our stretches and walked out into the crisp, cool, sunny morning.  We walked at a pretty good pace for 30 minutes.  It felt great to be out there.  I am amazed at how much writing out a schedule helps me.  It's posted on the wall so we can always look and see what we should be doing.  There are "cushions" here and there so that we can simply live and not be enslaved to keeping time with it.  It helped to look at it after our walk and get some direction for that period of time.  

What should we be doing now?  The well thought out schedule on the wall gives me (and my children) a ready answer.

   Walking may seem like a small thing to some, but for me it's big.  I refuse to fall prey to the "all or nothing" mentality.  If I aim too high, too soon, I may give up trying.  Right now we're just practicing getting out the door on time and getting our feet moving.  Period.  If I can be consistent in that for two weeks, that will be quite an accomplishment.  Then comes the jogging.  A little at a time.

   
   I've been noticing all the small beautiful things in my front yard.  The shape of this leaf intrigued me.  It almost looks as if a child cut it out with scissors.  

   After our walk, my daughter ran inside to grab my camera for me.  The sunlight casting it's warm glow all around was a sight to behold.  It was so quiet out there that I could hear the birds chattering.  Wonderful.

   All of the children were inside with dad.  I could take a few glorious minutes to snap some pictures.  I was definitely in my element.


Funny, I've lived here for over five years and never noticed these little things.
I wonder what other small treasures I've overlooked.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...