January 27, 2012

choices


Sometimes I wonder how many choices I make in any given day.  Probably hundreds.  

From the time I wake up (I choose when to do that) to the time I go to bed at night.  I'm making choices.

Some things I choose are like second nature to me because I have formed habits.  Habits can seem very hard to break, but every habit began with a choice and every habit ends in the same way.

It should be such an encouragement to believers in the Lord Jesus Christ that we can do all things through him.  Indeed he strengthens us. (Philippians 4:13)

God has also given us "all things that pertain to life and godliness". (2 Peter 1:3-4)

These truths give me courage.  I am not alone when I seek to make changes in my heart and life.  I can face any challenge with the power of my risen Lord...

...that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, 
the Father of glory, may give you a
spirit of wisdom and of revelation
in the knowledge of him,
having the eyes of your hearts enlightened,
that you may know what is the hope to which
he has called you, 
what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints,
and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power 
toward us who believe, according to the working
of his great might that he worked in Christ when
he raised him from the dead and seated him at his
right hand in the heavenly places, far above all
rule and authority and power and dominion,
and above every name that is named,
not only in this age but also in the one to come.
And he put all things under his feet and gave
him as head over all things to the church, which
is his body, the fullness of him who fills all in all.
Ephesians 1:17-23

Our God is powerful.  You can't get more powerful than creating the entire universe and bringing the dead to life.  This is the same power at work within us!  How can we ever be defeated?

Just to share a couple of things that have been happening in our hearts and lives lately...
We have been trying to eat healthier.  Trying to make wiser choices.  Looking at nutrition labels.  Seeing just how many calories there are in a serving.  For me, it means thinking about the amount of calories in that cookie sitting on the counter top that I am thinking about munching on.  Would that be wise?  Maybe I should save that for later.  Maybe I should say no altogether.  I have a choice to make.  It's actually been kinda fun for us to look at calories and make wiser choices.

Another choice I am making daily is to get more involved with each of my kids on a personal level.  Sure, I could be content with what I am already doing but I want to do more.  It's not out of guilt, I think it's God's work in my heart as a mother.  And as a wife.  And as a child of God.  Shouldn't we always desire our relationships to be closer?  And stronger?

I'm making the choice to show more interest in each individual.  Not being consumed with what I have to do, but being consumed with them.

For example, when I'm walking from one room to another putting things away and one of my children sits there playing happily.  She is not demanding my attention nor is she asking for it.  How often have I just walked on by going about my business?  But what if I sit for just a few minutes and ask her what she's doing? Give her a hug?  I'm trying to do this more.  I get so busy about things.  I want my love to be something that envelopes my family every day.  Taking time to just be with them.

Some days it can seem like all our children are hearing from us is "No" and "Don't" and "Stop".  I want to outdo those with "Yes" and "Let's do" and "Let's go!".

I want my family to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I love to be with them.  That I choose to be with them when I could be doing something else I enjoy.  So many choices will present themselves each day.  I pray I will choose wisely.



   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...