March 7, 2012

etching out time for creating and "momma's rolls" recipe


When life just gets really busy and full of doing...

...feed the baby, teach a lesson, clean up the mess, repeat...

I find myself longing to do something inspiring.  To create something with my hands, with my mind.

To make something lovely.  To do something interesting and above and beyond the everyday cares of life.

There has been so much beauty filling my days...but lately I find that things are hard to write about.  It's hard to put things into words.  My mind feels like a sea of thoughts, unorganized and random.  Deep and...at times...not so deep.

Sometimes I grow tired of the seemingly endless list of things that need to be accomplished.  I want more time for myself.  And not just that, but more time to simply enjoy the people I love.  I want more time!  Period.

One of the tough things about motherhood is knowing when you've given enough.  When it's ok to not read a book to your child and instead read (maybe just a chapter!) all by yourself.  To know when to put down your book and read the one your toddler ran to the shelf and grabbed as soon as he saw you sat down.  It's hard to know what to do, especially when you feel like neither one happens as much as you'd like it to.

It's hard knowing when it's ok to tell your very eager baker helpers that you'd like to bake this one on your own...and they can help you next time.  And not feel a little bad about it.

As a homeschool mom, I really do try to balance this thing called time.  It's not an easy thing.  I just pray for grace and wisdom one day at a time.  And yes, sometimes I bake alone...while the kids run around and play in the backyard.  And I enjoy creating there in my kitchen, with sunlight streaming in through the windows and beautiful music filling my ears.

The rewards of this little "get away" in my kitchen went beyond baking.  I also had the joy of learning more about my new camera and attempting to do some food photography.  Yes, I know, much to learn...but I am so enjoying it!

 Another reward was the smiling faces of my family as they enjoyed momma's rolls fresh from the oven...

I wanted to share this recipe with all of you, because it is one of our favorites.  I made these for the first time on Thanksgiving Day several years ago...and we have enjoyed them on occasion ever since.  Enjoy them plain or spread on preserves for a special treat.  Blackberry and apricot are my favorites!


Momma’s rolls

Ingredients:
4 ½ cups all-purpose flour, divided
¼ cup sugar
1 packet active dry yeast
1 tsp. salt
1 cup milk
½ cup water
¼ cup unsalted butter (or margarine)

Directions:
1.     Combine approximately 1-1 ½ cups flour with the sugar, yeast, and salt in a large mixing bowl.  Set aside.

2.       Heat the milk, water and margarine in a small saucepan on low heat.  Heat until temperature reaches 120 degrees.

3.      Blend the liquid mixture into your dry ingredients using an electric mixer.  Continuously add flour, about ½ cup at a time as you mix.  Add flour and mix until a soft dough forms. 

4.      Knead the dough on a floured surface for approximately two minutes.

5.      Shape into 12 rolls and arrange in a lightly greased 13x9 pan.  Set aside in a warm place to rise in bulk for about one hour.


 Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes.  Partly peel open a stick of butter and brush the tops while they're hot!  Delicious!


1 comment:

  1. Glad you got to bake -- I'm one of those that has to have "alone" time to rejuvinate! Wish I could have been there for the warm rolls!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...