February 25, 2012

an extravagant gift from an amazing God



Have you ever been given a gift that left you feeling utterly amazed that someone would go to such great lengths to meet your need and bless you?  A gift so extravagant and sacrificially given that you are rendered speechless?  And when you can finally pick your jaw up off the floor all you can say is "Thank you Lord!"  

This is the 12 passenger van that our family affectionately calls "The Lobster".  We were told that the family with nine children (all grown now) who owned it before us had dubbed it thus.  It cracks me up when little Manny says "Let's go Lobster!" and he marches toward it with a determined look.  

The kids all love it.  They get all excited when it's time to go somewhere in our bus-like van.

I was a bit afraid to drive such a large machine at first.  But now I'm feeling right at home in our big lobster. :)

I would be remiss in giving glory to God if I did not say that we did not pay from our own pockets to receive this van.  But a dear friend did.  What else but the love of God would motivate such selfless sacrifice?  Our van is such a special gift and every time we use it we are reminded of the goodness of our God.

I also remember how much we prayed.  We knew we would need a bigger van once Isabel was born.  But the acquiring of one seemed like a daunting task.  It was all we could do to just trust that God would help us.  I can remember thinking that it would be so neat if maybe someone could pass down a large van they weren't using anymore.  In my mind that seemed like a good idea.  I also prayed about that and asked God if maybe...just maybe...someone could give us a van.  I admit, I felt as though I was asking too much.  

Imagine my surprise when I found out we were being given a van!  

I praise God for it.  He is always good, even when he doesn't give us big gifts like this.  I know that no matter what the circumstance is, he knows all about it and he loves us far more than we can even imagine.  He will always provide for our needs.  It's so sweet to trust him, isn't it?

Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
Proverbs 3:5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...