April 16, 2012

zucchini bread {with strawberry cream cheese spread}




Over ten years ago, I was introduced to the deliciousness of zucchini bread.  

I'm not real big on zucchini so it's amazing to me that something with this much zucchini in it could taste so phenomenal.  I love this bread!  This bread is like dessert.  It ranks right up there with birthday cake.  The difference is that you feel like you're eating healthier because it's loaded with zucchini.

I make this every once in a while for a special treat and my family is very glad when I do.

Since it makes two loaves, it worked out perfectly to send one with my husband to his Monday morning Bible study and to keep one at home for our family to enjoy.

This is one of those recipes that has special memories attached to it.  Every time I make it I think of the dear lady (my former pastor's wife in Missouri) who made it for my family once.  Back in those days so many things were new to me.

I didn't know about God and I didn't know how to bake either.  It's been nearly twelve years now of learning new things.  I still remember the intimidating feeling of cracking open my first Bible.  I also remember when making something from scratch was a non-reality in my home.  It's amazing how much can change when you follow God and just keep trying.

Looking back, I am so thankful.  Thankful for the woman who followed her husband to Missouri where God would have them plant a church...thankful that she sat by my side as I opened that Bible..leading me step by step, closer to the God I now serve...thankful for how she loved and smiled and cared.  I will never forget her.  And this recipe that she shared with me several years ago is pretty unforgettable too!



zucchini bread {with strawberry cream cheese spread}

ingredients:

(for the bread)
3 large eggs
1 cup oil (I use vegetable)
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups zucchini squash, shredded (2 small zucchini's will do)
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

(for the spread)
1 8 oz. package of cream cheese, softened
1 Tbsp. milk
1/4 cup strawberry jelly


To make the bread:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Grease two bread loaf pans.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs.  Add oil, sugar and vanilla.  Mix well.  Add shredded zucchini.  
Set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon.  Add this dry mixture to the wet ingredients and lightly blend together.
Pour the batter into 2 greased loaf pans and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

To make the spread:

Using a mixer, whip the cream cheese until smooth and creamy.  
Add the milk and blend it together.
Add the jelly and blend with the mixer.  Refrigerate. 

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have over the years.
Happy Baking!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...