May 9, 2012

framed art: "HOME" covered in map


Okay, confession time.  I was reluctant to get into the whole "Pinterest" thing.  I thought that it would only serve to make me sit around and wish I had things I don't.  So I wasn't even gonna go there.

Even now, I don't have an "account" or whatever (maybe someday), but the Pinterest website has actually been really inspiring.  I've discovered that I can find some pretty cool ideas there.  

This 'lil project was inspired from an idea I saw on Pinterest.  That project had wooden letters spelling "HOME" that were covered in map print.  I really liked it, but surface space in my home is very limited.  

So I came up with the idea of framing the letters.


I started with this thrift store find.  I think I paid $3.

I removed the brown paper backing to get to the glass so 
I could remove it in order to spray paint the frame.

Using the cardboard backing, I did a rough sketch.

Using my rough sketch as a guide for sizing, I traced the letters
 onto some playdoh boxes I was planning to throw away.
My son Javi did quite a good job cutting them out.  ;)

Using an old atlas, I tore out pages of the places where we have lived
 and cut out the shapes of the letters from those maps.

Clara brushed on some Elmer's glue.  
We glued the map letter cut-outs to the cardboard cut-outs.

Now to cover the cardboard background with fabric.
I used the leftover fabric from my kitchen valance project.

Using a hot glue gun, I glued the fabric down on the back of the piece.

I flipped it over and assembled my letters.  The next step was to hot glue them onto the fabric one by one.
It's not perfect, and if I did this again I would probably change the letter proportions a little bit.  
But it's ok, I'm happy with my cheery "HOME" sign hanging in my kitchen.
Imperfections and all.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...