May 30, 2012

how can we withhold forgiveness?


I am finding that taking the Bible one chapter at a time is good for me.  It gives me direction, it's helping  me to stay focused.  Sometimes I think one paragraph a day might be even better though.  After all, what are we in such a rush for? 

There is so much that is taught in a single chapter that I often find that I need more time to study and think.  This is what causes me to question Bible reading plans sometimes.  Because even with one chapter from each Testament per day, I still feel the pressure to make sure I get it all read....so that I can stay on track.  And sometimes I wish I could just slow it all down.  I think I might come up with my own plan some day soon.  

For example, today I read Matthew 18.  What if, instead of reading the whole chapter, I just read a section of it.  Like verses 1-14 for example.  That would certainly be a lot to think about.  Then, the next day could consider verses 15-35.  I don't want to breeze through it.  I understand that getting an overview is good, and it's good to get the full scope without always gazing into every detail, but I am at a point where I want those details.  I want to understand.  I need to know my Lord better.  

Today, the parable of the unforgiving servant touched my heart.  It's such a beautiful picture of forgiveness.  How could I, having been forgiven by God for so much "debt" not willingly and freely offer my forgiveness to others?  Shame on me for ever withholding it...even for five minutes!  How can I ever be hesitant?!  

I know the tendency we all have to gloss over the Bible when someone puts it on their website.  I've done it myself.  We get pretty confident that we know what it says already.  And maybe you've read this passage many times, but it's such a powerful lesson that God wants to engrave on our hearts.  I am going to type it out here with a desire to never forget it as long as I live...

Then Peter came up and said to him, "Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, 
and I forgive him?  As many as seven times?"

Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven.

"Therefore the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to settle accounts
with his servants.  When he began to settle, one was brought to him who owed him ten
thousand talents (one talent is about twenty years' wages for a laborer).  And since he could not pay,
his master ordered him to be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and 
payment to be made.  

So the servant fell on his knees, imploring him, 'Have patience with me, and I will pay
you everything.'

And out of pity for him, the master of that servant released him and forgave him the debt.

But when that same servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a 
hundred denarii (one denarius was a day's wage for a laborer), and seizing him, he began to choke him, saying,

'Pay what you owe.'

So his fellow servant fell down and pleaded with him, 'Have patience with me, and I will pay you.'

He refused and went and put him in prison until he should pay the debt.  When his fellow
servants saw what had taken place, they were greatly distressed, and they went and reported
to their master all that had taken place.

Then his master summoned him and said to him, 'You wicked servant!  I forgave you all that 
debt because you pleaded with me.  And should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant,
as I had mercy on you?'

And in anger his master delivered him to the jailers, until he should pay all his debt.
So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your 
brother from your heart."
Matthew 18:21-35





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...