June 25, 2012

New Beginnings {Writing Prompt}



I watched the video presentation in church yesterday.  I didn't realize that there are hundreds of people without a single copy of the Bible in their own language.  A brother in Christ spoke of his desire to change that.  He spoke of God using ordinary, unremarkable people to accomplish his purposes.  

I looked down at my lovely Bible with the flowers etched into the cover.  I thought about what it would be like if I only had one chapter of the gospel according to John...I thought of how much some people across the globe treasure the little bits and pieces they have of God's precious word and I wonder "How thankful am I?"  I have the entire copy!  I have the very words of God himself, recorded and sitting there on my lap.  Have I "treasured them more than my necessary food" lately?  (Job 23:12)  I mean, sure I've been spending time in it...I love it...but thinking about having only one chapter or not even having it at all really struck a cord with me.

I thought of my seven children whom God has given to my charge.  Have I been doing all I can to point them to Christ, to instruct them in the words of life, to pray with them?  If I am honest with myself, I know that I have been doing some things.  But as I look back over the recent past I feel a sense of dissatisfaction with my efforts.  I have been too relaxed about it.  I know I need to be even more intentional.  I am very intentional about physical nourishment...how much more should I be intentional about spiritual nourishment?  The fire within me has been stoked and my passion to be consistent every day has been renewed.  I want to do more than just make sure that all my readers read their Bibles.  I want to do more than help my non-reader work on her memory verse for the program at church.  I want to do more than the occasional Bible story and the once in a while missionary biography.  

I just want more.

What more can I give them?

This is the question that filled my mind yesterday and I'm still asking it this morning.  This is the beginning of a new week.  There are so many ways that I can fill my time...some days I will be exhausted from taking care of my children and my home...but I want to be intentional.  This is the mission that God has given me to do.  I  want to do it well. I want to live my life with no regrets.


Oh, and did I mention that I have a neighbor that I really want to share the gospel with?




4 comments:

  1. I just spent some time looking around and reading your blog. What a testimony you have and what a beautiful heart you have. As for this post, it is a challenge for me as a mom, what am I doing to intentionally teach my kids about this amazing God we serve? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you were able to stop by! Thank you for giving the writing prompt, it definitely put some excitement in my Monday morning. ;) Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, that intentionality -- what a discipline to hone, yes? I think of this often, and am often struck by two different factors involving it: 1) All the other stuff I allow to clutter that vision and distract me; and 2) my ignorance in how, exactly, to go about being intentional. I'm a young mother who wasn't raised in a Christian home. If I'm honest with myself, even though I burn to raise my children well and point them to the Lord, I just don't know how to do it all the time. This particular awareness has made it so clear to me how important it is that I *do* spend a lot of time in the precious Word, and that I seek mentoring from others who have been blessed with wisdom in the areas where I lack it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Lenae. Seeking a mentor is something we should all do...although it seems we often plug away on our own just trying to figure things out. There is so much we can glean from those who have been there, done that. I am learning to ask more questions of the "older" women as well. I think the hard part is that it is very humbling to admit our weaknesses. But that is the first step toward truly growing in the Lord. Thanks for sharing! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...