August 17, 2012

Busyness and the message we are sending


There is a comment that I often get, especially when I meet someone new.  In fact, if I remember correctly, I think I started hearing it sometime after we welcomed a third child into our home.

People often say "You must be BUSY!"

Ok, granted, I do have a lot going on in my life (don't we all?)  But I want to thoughtfully respond to this comment.  Because the message I do not want to send is: "I'm so busy with my life that I don't have any time for you."

We do that you know.  Without even realizing it we push people away.  We talk about how busy we are.  Who would want to pick up the phone and call us?  We talk about how crazy our life is.  Who would want to even try to get together?  We can so easily make people think that we are too busy for them.

I understand that we all have busy lives, and we can't always be involved in every activity that comes our way. We simply do not have all the time it would take to get to know everybody that we casually interact with.  But I think that if we are not careful, all of our talk about being busy can slam the door shut on the opportunity to truly encourage our brothers and sisters in Christ.  Think about the people that God brings into your path.  Are you in the habit of always telling them how busy you are?   Could that be hindering your ministry to others?

I was a new mom once.  I wondered, “How on earth am I going to build a home with Christ as the foundation?  And do you know what?  Sometimes those older, more seasoned moms just seemed so busy.  I would even try to get beyond my assumptions about that. But then, when I would talk to them, they would talk about how busy they were.  Do we realize that this can push people away from us?

I hope that you understand my heart.  I'm not saying that we should never mention that life is hectic and busy.  It might actually be an encouragement to someone else that you are striving to meet all of life’s challenges with God’s grace.  But I want to encourage you to consider that some people will get the message that we have no time at all for them.  If we’re to be like Christ, I don’t think we want to give that message.  May God bless our relationships as we seek to develop them with the time that he gives us.


[revised 8.22.2012]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...