September 11, 2012

Sausage-egg casserole


The alarm went off at 4:30am.  Time to get up and put together those ingredients I had prepped the night before.  I had cooked the sausage and chopped the veggies.  Everything was ready.  I had enough time to combine the ingredients and bake it in time for my husband to leave for his Bible study.

I was glad for the prep the night before because I didn't want to have to think through too much that early in the morning!  I actually did end up forgetting the milk.  But I'm happy to say that it was still good. This morning I enjoyed some of the leftovers for my breakfast. :)

This recipe, in its most basic form, does not call for any veggies.  I simply added what I wanted.  It's like pizza in the sense that you can add whatever veggies, meat or cheese you like.  This is your opportunity to get creative!

Another thing I like about this recipe is that it has a very short bake time.  Many egg casseroles take as long as an hour to bake.  But this one?  Only 15-20 minutes and it's done. Works for me!

Sausage Egg Casserole

ingredients:
1 block of "regular" Jimmy Dean pork sausage (or less if you prefer)
1 8 oz. pkg. of refrigerated crescent roll dough
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
6 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup milk
salt and pepper, (I sprinkle a little on top)
green bell pepper, one half
red bell pepper, one half

directions: (this is the way I did it, with prep the night before)

[the night before]
Cook sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat until evenly brown.  Drain grease and set aside to cool, then refrigerate.  
Chop vegetables to bite-size chunks.  They can be whatever size you prefer, refrigerate.
Shred your cheese if you did not purchase it shredded.  I prefer to minimize my workload and I purchase it shredded.  Totally up to you.

[the following morning]
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray.  Lay the crescent rolls flat in the bottom to form a crust.
In a bowl, combine the cooked sausage, cheese, eggs, milk and any veggies you are using.
Sprinkle salt and pepper over the top, add it according to your taste.
Bake in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, it should be bubbly with the rolls baked and firmly set.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...