September 7, 2012

Seven on seven {modified September version}


Ok, so here's the crew.  We had a homeschool field trip today and I took four of our kids.  At first, the main reason for only half of us going was because of the concern that our van might not shift gears for me again.  But once we started hiking up rocky terrain, I found myself rather thankful that I did not brave this field trip with small children.  My husband or I would have ended up sitting on a picnic bench somewhere, just waiting for the the guided tour to conclude.  So it definitely worked out for the best.


We spent all day hunting for interesting specimens in the woods.  We had a little picnic lunch on park benches and it wasn't long before we were joined by ducks who wanted a bite to eat.  


After lunch, we were equipped to enjoy some time in the cool water of the creek.  It was a beautiful and peaceful place.  I was glad that I chose the crocs instead of the boots because it was refreshing to feel the cool water on my feet.




The park ranger was very helpful in explaining things and teaching the children (and us!).  She taught us the catchphrase "There is fungus among us".  The kids would say it when they spotted fungus growing on something.  


The last part was fascinating.  We got to see the little things we had caught in the creek under a microscope. They were displayed on a big screen so that we could all see.  We marveled at all the little details that we couldn't see as well before.  We were amazed with God's creative power...so many little details!

When it was all said and done, I felt exhausted.  This trip was not without incident.  My children tripped over roots and rocks, they fell, and they scraped skin.  I felt like I had to do a lot of correcting.  I had to make sure they stayed close, behaved and kept quiet, especially when the ranger was talking.  Believe me, it was tiring work.  I am going to bed as soon as I publish this post. :)

"Hearts a bustin'"  Funny name, isn't it?

Although we did learn a lot, I found myself just wishing I could let them run around and explore to their hearts content.  I know that there are places that they would have liked to linger...but that's ok.  Maybe next time.

Anyway, my "Seven on seven" is slightly modified this time around.  I had some creative ideas for shots that I was going to try on the home front, but we were all just too tired for it.  We had already been through a lot, and you can only fit so much in one day.  

I had to chuckle when I noticed from the group photo that there were seven kids on today's field trip.  I thought "Well there ya go, seven on seven!"...however modified the group might be. ;)  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...