October 27, 2012

Celebrating Milestones {writing prompt}


I'm the type of person that MUST write things down if I have any hope of remembering it.  I have my stickies and my memo stations so that I can remember important things I need to do.

This week, I was glad to have another record to help my memory...a little journal I had started in 2003.  It's actually one of Joelle's favorite books.  Probably because most of the memories it contains are about her when she was little.

When I read through it's entries, I realize that if I had not written these things down I would have probably forgotten all about them.  Thinking of Joelle as a little two to three year old girl seems so distant, so long ago.  But when I read these entries...I remember.  Not only the funny things and the precious things but also the things that were so hard at the time, yet now they are a distant memory.

6.24.03

~Joelle is sitting on the stairs with her Gramma this morning.  Whenever she sits down she grunts like an old man.  It's so funny.  She also makes this exasperated sound when she lifts something from the ground--even if it's a lightweight stuffed animal!  Joelle acts as if it's extremely heavy.  I just crack up at this.

~ We're having to tell Joelle "Sssshhhh!" all the time, because she yells whenever she wants to say something.  I tell her "Please don't yell, you're being too loud", and I'm trying to teach her words that she can use instead.  I'm praying for God's wisdom in how to handle her constant yelling, sometimes shrill screaming.

~It's wonderful to see how Amera helps Joelle and teaches her things.  Amera does very well at praising Joelle when she accomplishes something.  Lately Joelle has been determined to go down the stairs while standing, rather than scooting down as usual.  Whenever she gets to the bottom of the steps she claps her hands and cheers for herself, and Amera and I join in and say "Good job, Joelle!"

7.4.03

~Joelle has gotten so good at using her fork, this morning she wants to use her fork to eat everything!  From fruit loops to broken up pieces of toast.  The funny thing is--she's actually doing a great job at it!

~Lately when I put Joelle down for a nap I wave "bye" at the door of her room.  I close the door and she says loudly over and over "Hi!, Hi!, Hi!".  It's her ways of saying "bye".  It's really cute...though I guess it's good that eventually she stops. :)


It's hard to believe we made it past the shrill screams and tumbling down the stairs.  It's hard to believe she will soon be old enough to begin babysitting.  And it's hard to believe that she has gone so far beyond just using her fork at the table...to the point of whipping up special treats in the kitchen!  I don't know exactly when it all happened.  But it did.

Two more special entries to share with you...

7.17.04

~I have started to read through the Bible.  Amera has followed my example and she has been inspired to read from start to finish as well.  This morning she is on the couch reading with such a serious expression on her face.  I think she is in Exodus.  I heard Joelle (2 1/2 years old) opening her Bible bag (with velcro).  I knew she was pulling out her Bible too!  She went and sat next to Amera and opened her Bible.  How precious!  I sat down next to Amera and said "See that?" (motioning to Joelle)..."That's the power of an example". 

~Joelle gets so excited when she hears Amera playing "Jesus loves me" on the piano.  She gets very excited and says "Mommy!, Mommy! 'Stwonn'" (that's the way she says STRONG) and she does this cute little muscle pose.  Then she says "Me! Me! Me!" and points to herself.  It's so precious to hear her little voice saying "...Yeh Jesuh wuh meeeee!" as we sing it together.  It just melts my heart every time.

I praise God that Joelle came to understand just how much Jesus loves her.  I pray it is something she will never forget.


Read more about our birthday girl here: Joelle is eleven today


Linking up for the writing prompt here: http://www.ellenstumbo.com/celebrating-milestones/

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes, and having those things recorded makes me want to write down so much more than I typically do! Thanks for reading along Alison. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...