October 1, 2012

Ordinary challenges and choices, even on my birthday


[Joelle and Izzy hangin' out with me 
while I got ready for church]

So here it is.  Monday morning.  I am officially 36 years old today.  How can that be?!
My husband just left for his Bible study with plans to go in to work early and take me out to dinner.  I'm looking forward to special time with my man.  I feel like we have so much to talk about lately. :)

Joelle who never forgets a special day wished me a Happy Birthday as soon as she came into the dining room.  Amera is still doing her morning routine and everyone else is still in bed.




Everywhere I look in this house I see things that need to be done.  It is the aftermath of a busy weekend that consisted of a birthday party for Brienne and a full day at church.  There are dishes from last night, all resulting from our late night efforts to bake for the Bible study this morning.  There are clothes that somehow never got put away, though I seem to recall constantly putting forth effort to stay on top of everything and keep everything tidy.  It seems that something always remains undone.

This morning my thoughts are going back to yesterday.  I am remembering the challenges I experienced.  Like Isabel's crying as she put up so much resistance to taking her nap after the morning service.  Why don't they appreciate their naps more?  She is such an affectionate baby.  She hugs tight, and puts her little mouth on my cheek like she's giving me kisses.  It's so sweet but there just comes a point where sleep must happen, no matter how clingy she is!  She put up quite the fight yesterday.  But it's ok, she finally gave in.  We survived. :)

In addition to that, my children seemed to be pushing the boundaries yesterday.  That usually seems to coincide with someone complimenting me on how well behaved they are.  I love my children and they do know how to listen and abide by the rules, most of the time.  But there is so much correction going on behind the scenes.  Believe me, they are NOT little "angels".  They have sin issues too.  I see many of those daily.  I know all of you moms know exactly what I'm talking about.


I am praying for grace and strength today.  It is my birthday, but really, it will be an ordinary day full of challenges and choices.  I don't want to be a frustrated and overwhelmed mommy.  I want to sort laundry, pay the bills, and homeschool my kids with joy in my heart.  I want to smile and appreciate and hug and love like crazy.  God has been so good to me and I am thankful. Even for the challenges that stretch me and help me learn to depend more on his grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...