March 23, 2013

Being homesick {writing prompt}


When your dad is in the Air Force, staying in one place for very long is never a guarantee.  I was born in California.  In fact, I was born in Paradise.  That has a certain ring to it, doesn't it?

Well, it wasn't long before moving became something familiar to me.  Anticipating the new place we would live and settle into was a thrilling experience.  I have lived in a few different places in California.  But in between living there and then moving back again when I was eleven, my dad was stationed in Hawaii.

Many of my childhood memories are there:

~Frequent trips to the beach
~Sand in between my toes
~Lying in the wet, glorious sand as the tide rushed in and out
~Boogie boarding on the waves
~My dad trying his best to surf
~The taste of salt water on my lips
~The day I spent far too long out in the sun and could barely move because my sunburn was so bad.
~Snorkeling in the clear blue water of the Bay
~Laughing and playing with my sisters for hours.  It seemed like we were never in a hurry when we were at the beach.
~Building sand castles
~Delighting to see crabs pop their heads out of the sand to say hello...funny little things.
~The time we went to a "Luau" and saw what it was like to roast a pig in the ground.  We were still laughing and playing on the beach even after dark.
~When we weren't at the beach, we were playing in the pool in our back yard.  It was one of those pools with a hard plastic rim all around and a blue bottom.  Or my sisters and I would play in a sprinkler...or on the slip 'n' slide.  I was just telling a couple of my kids the other day how one time, we got creative and used a tarp and dish soap for a makeshift "Slip 'n' Slide".  We were water lovers for sure.  As far as I can remember, I spent most of my time in the water.  Sometimes, I would play for so long that my fingers would resemble prunes. :)
~My mom trying new things in the kitchen.  Like egg rolls...those were yummy!
~My mom and dad in a moment of bravery (or was it craziness?) attempting to skateboard (My dad has the Beta video to prove it)!
~Enjoying having my own room in the "Lanai" which was sort of like a screened in porch only with windows and shades.  I had a big bed out there and felt like a princess for a little while.  Having my own room was nice but I also enjoyed sharing a room with my sister.  I remember the excitement of decorating it together and making it our special place.  We had bunk beds that could come apart and be single beds if we wanted. We always enjoyed changing things around.  I'm still like that.  It's a happy feeling when the furniture is rearranged and everything seems fresh and new.  I'd move things around more now if I could.  But options are a little more limited these days. :)

As I said, when I was about eleven my family returned to California.  Suddenly there were billboards (Hawaii has none, good thing too) and milk and bread were cheaper.  I don't know why I remember that but I do.

There would still be some moving around for me.  I would attend three different high schools.  The last one was in North Dakota of all places.  And I just have to wonder what it feels like to be in one place for a long time.  What does it feel like to stay put and dig in your roots?

Come to think of it, I have actually lived in South Carolina for almost seven years.  But the thing is, we did not come here with the intent of staying long-term.  We came here to prepare for full-time ministry.  We have always wondered where God might send us.  And there have been many instances throughout this time period that we have simply come to the conclusion that HERE is where God wanted us to be.  And so we decided to "bloom where we were planted" knowing that it was beyond our control anyway.  God makes no mistakes.  He knows what he is doing.

Yet even though we have "bloomed" and we have made it our aim to serve God in the here and now, there is a longing to do what God has called us to do.  There is a desire to be in the place where all the preparation becomes practice.  There is a desire to dig in some roots and stay put for a while.

My family will soon be flying out to California again to candidate at a church.  And no matter what is decided, I am confident that God's plan for his people will continue to unfold as it has since the beginning of time.  We are ecstatic as we anticipate meeting our brothers and sisters in Christ all the way across the country.  We are excited about what God is doing.

Ultimately only God knows all the details.  The Christian knows that time on this earth is temporary.  That is the thread that should run through everything I do, no matter where I go.  I am here to serve God and in the big picture, I will not be here for long.

There is a place more wonderful than any place I have ever lived.  In fact, Jesus called it Paradise (Luke 23:43).  I have not been there yet and I don't know exactly what it looks like.  But the thing that makes it so wonderful is that God is there.  And I know that when I am there, I will truly be home to stay.

Linking up for the writing prompt here: http://www.ellenstumbo.com/being-homesick/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...