March 28, 2013

Little glimmers that encourage


Manny and Javi share a room together.  They are learning (slow process) to take care of their things.  It's an everyday workshop...simply learning to put things away where they belong.  Even the smallest people can learn that they have two hands that God gave them, two hands that can work and be productive.  

Just accomplish a few things.  Be faithful in the small.  Manny struggled, he evaded, he got distracted.  Big brother would come to me with the report.  His little subject would not do the job and it was time to call in for reinforcements.

I have wanted my children to learn to joyfully do their work.  To see the important part that they play in the smooth running and functionality of our home.  To understand that we can honor God in even the smallest of tasks.  Nothing is insignificant.  But when they neglect and show slackness in their work it affects the whole family.

But then little changes begin to take place and we are offered a glimmer of hope.
We moms, we notice the small things, don't we?  

I noticed how happy Manny was when he was able to fold a hand towel yesterday.  
"Look mom!, I did it!"  
"Good job, Manny!"

I noticed him happily humming a tune when he put the blocks away.
I noticed his smile when he helped me by running and getting a diaper for Isabel.
Little things that will lead to bigger things in his life...


And this one?  She won't deny that she struggles in many ways.  She is human, she is learning every day.  But lately it's as if a spark has been ignited.  She is eager to help, eager to show her love by serving her family.  She notices injustice and seeks to right it, she see a need and seeks to meet it.  Lately, it's as if I see her maturing before my very eyes.  She has many people to deal with, interact with and learn to love even within the context of her own family.  And it is stretching and trying at times.  Her trials are developing her patience and I see it.  It causes me to rejoice.  It motivates me to pray even more.  To pray for God to work, for God to move them in ways that only he can.  

As I mother these beautiful children, my greatest cause for rejoicing is seeing God at work through their struggles and seeing him develop their character (and mine as well)  through the hard and difficult things.  It's his way, and even though it's hard I am thankful for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...