August 26, 2011

The joys of homeschooling


   It's such a wonderful thing to see God work, even in the planning of a schedule.  I have definitely availed myself of the benefits of his help and wisdom in all my plans for daily home life with homeschooling included.  Priorities were reevaluated, and a proposed plan was scribbled into a notebook, we were ready to begin this new school year.

   Our first day went very well.  Not because the day was perfect and problem free (because it wasn't) but it went well because we had a plan for what to do and in what order.  I believe that we have found something that really works for us!  Such a good feeling!  I'm excited about the coming year.

   I nearly lost my voice yesterday.  I think it was a combination of recovering from being sick and talking so much as I taught the children.  Needless to say I was pretty tired out at the end of the day!  The kids found my lack of voice a bit amusing.  Brienne said "You sound so sweet mom".  It was pitiful because I couldn't even lift my voice to call someone from down the hall.  Joelle was so thoughtful and said "It's ok mom, you don't have to talk."  She could hardly stand to hear me strain to speak.



 Joelle got a haircut, sometimes you just want a change.
She's such a sweetie.

   
Here we have one of the results of Joelle asking to use my camera.

   Amera is learning about poetry in Literature.  Toward the end of the lesson, I told her to think of a word.  She chose "casserole".  Her first task was to describe it to me scientifically.  Second, she would write a 2-4 line poem about it.  She claims to not like poetry much, unless it is religious verse.  Hmmm...maybe soon she'll begin to change her mind.  At any rate, I was pretty impressed with what she came up with...

My, what it takes to put dinner together
And when mother bakes, our dinner gets better
A moments reflection on what taste we wish,
She bakes to perfection a casserole dish!

She's a poet and didn't even know it!  :)

Homeschooling can be such a joy and even fun!  Sometimes its hard and challenging too, but I just wouldn't trade it for the world.  I love watching my daughter's eyes sparkle as her wheels get turning and she is enjoying learning and being creative in the process.  I love the moments we share every day.  The excitement bubbling up in a child who is so happy that they are improving at something.  The times when something is so funny to our family, but it's a "you just had to be there" moment.  So many good things, and growing through trials together.  I love it all.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...