December 15, 2011

We are in his hands


   This morning I went into my daughter's room to wake her up.  Before I left the room that all of my girls sleep in, I lingered for a little while at baby Isabel's crib.  I looked into it, imagining her there, her tiny little frame and beautiful face all snuggled up in a blanket.  I ran my hands along the softness of the blanket and thought of how each and every one of my children have slept in this crib.  For some reason that thought left me feeling awestruck.  I think it's because I am so amazed by such tremendous blessings, yet I am also reminded to take nothing for granted.  Not life, not health, not even ten little toes and ten little fingers.  

   This morning I decided to read Hannah's prayer in 1 Samuel 2 as well as Psalm 139.  I was also inspired by a Facebook post to think about my trust in God.  When my husband woke up, we spoke about these things at the breakfast table.  What does it mean to trust God?  What happens when we don't?  When we don't trust God we trust in something or someone else, and often we trust in our own wisdom.  It's so good to talk about these things and think them through. 

   Our trust in God really stems from our knowing him and his character.  He is the most trustworthy One we will ever know.  You can do a word search in the Bible and find many verses that have the word trust.  But think of passages like 1 Samuel 2 that point us to God's sovereignty, the fact that he rules over all the earth and he is in control of every circumstance.  Does this not encourage us to trust in a God who is all-powerful and able to accomplish his will in our lives?

And Hannah prayed and said, 

"My heart exults in the LORD;
my strength is exalted in the LORD.

My mouth derides my enemies, 
because I rejoice in your salvation.

There is none holy like the LORD;
there is none besides you;
there is no rock like our God.

Talk no more so very proudly,
let not arrogance come from your mouth;

for the LORD is a God of knowledge,
and by him actions are weighed.

  She goes on in her prayer, probably reminding herself (and us) of who God is and what he is able to do.  If I trust him, I recognize that everything is in his very capable hands.  I am in his hands, nervous as I feel, when I go in to the hospital tomorrow for my C-section.  Isabel is in his hands, as she is brought from my womb and into this world.  She is dependent on him for every heart beat and every breath she takes.  He is the giver of life and all souls are his.  I want trust him with all my heart.

    Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your book were written, every one of them,
the days that were formed for me,
when as yet there was none of them.
Psalm 139:16



   

1 comment:

  1. This is beautifully written, Marisha. I, too, have thought much about the character of the One I trust in -- Ps. 121 is always such an amazing reminder that my (Gini) help comes from the LORD -- and He is the Creator of heaven and earth! That is a lot of power! and yet, He loves and helps me! I'll be praying for renewed strength for you and that Isabel will be a joyful little baby for you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...