June 21, 2012

Taking the opportunity to teach selflessness


My mom gave us one of those "make your own popsicle" things.  I made some lemonade and decided to make some popsicles with it.  The kids were all excited about it. 

"Are they frozen yet?!" ...the freezer was opened to check...
"Who wants a popsicle?!"  
"Meeeeeee!!!"

All the children went running to the kitchen to get one.  Then they hurried out to the backyard, to walk around on green grass in the sunshine, all while enjoying cool refreshment.  I love these fun summer days!

About ten minutes later I heard crying.  Loud, terrified, crying that I knew had resulted from physical pain.  Immediately, Brienne yells out "Mom, Clara fell on the sidewalk!!"

I quickly darted toward the back door.  I mentally prepared myself to see something tragic.  In a flash, I envisioned my little girl's face covered in bright red blood.  

Much to my relief, no blood was shed.  Only a painful looking scratch on her forehead and close to her hairline.  Clara whimpered and held onto my leg.  She stared at her half-eaten popsicle lying on the sidewalk, and broken into a few pieces. Clara was mostly recovered at this point.  She had calmed down considerably so it was time for me to go back into the house to finish what I was doing before.


All the children stood near us, some with about half of their popsicles left.
As I walked past one of them, I leaned in and whispered into their ear...


"Offer Clara the rest of your popsicle."

My child looked at me with slight reluctance.  But I just knew that God wanted me to take this opportunity to teach my children about sacrificial love and selflessness.  My hope is that someday they will have the mind of Christ and be compelled to do these things on their own.  But for now, I offer guidance. And hopefully, as God gives me opportunities, I will be an example too.

I stepped up onto the back porch and Clara was still a bit upset, her face looked sad and was wet with tears.  As she looked over at her popsicle on the siedewalk, she despairingly asked "Mommy, what popsicle could I eat now?"

I turned to look at the child I had whispered to.  We locked eyes for a moment.  My eyes must have had a pleading look...I'm not sure, but I hoped beyond hopes that my child would show Christ in this very moment.  The tension was mounting...then finally...


"Clara, would you like my popsicle?"  Clara smiled and happily accepted.


I don't know about you, but showing love like that toward a sister and bringing glory to Christ is a joy that far surpasses the enjoyment you'd get from eating a popsicle.  This is eternal treasure laid up in heaven.  I know my child may have only done it because I told them to...but hopefully someday they will do it on their own.  Isn't that how it is for all disciples?

Things like this happen from time to time.  And it's not always the same result or the same form of teaching.  Sometimes I focus on having the child deal with the loss and to grow in their maturity that way.  But I do believe if we are focused on teaching our children what modeling Christ looks like...God will lead us.  And he will give us soooo many opportunities.  It really is in the everyday moments.


Are you learning from Christ's example and demonstrating this to your children?

Are you teaching your kids how to respond in a Christ-like manner, especially in difficult situations?





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...