June 22, 2012

when things get messy


In my best moments I am a person who likes to clean house.  Though sometimes I wish I could just snap my fingers like Mary Poppins and make the mess go away.  

Every day, I tell one of my children to put on some music and I announce "clean up party!"  We tidy up after breakfast, then before lunch and again before dinner.  Sort of a "work so you can eat" philosophy.  I feel the daily pressure of staying on top of mess so that it doesn't overwhelm us.

My husband used to joke that I am a lot like the "Tazmanian Devil" going around the house, from one room to another at lightning speed, cleaning up and putting things away.  I feel a great sense of satisfaction when everything is in it's proper place.

Imagine how I felt as I breezed past this room (sometime after aforementioned "clean up party") and saw what you see in the picture above.  My heart instantly sank.  I thrive on functionality and order and this is NOT order.  I want the recliner closed, the books put where they belong and the blanket folded and put away!

Calm down Marisha.

It's a tent that one of the children built (probably Brienne!) and it is something that they really enjoy...sigh...deep breath...


Look at this little place!  What a fun little tent to play under!  

Sometimes I feel like my children pick the worst possible time to build these things.  Like when company is coming over, or when we have to be going somewhere in an hour or so.  And I feel like all this tent making is working against me and my program.  You know...my program to fight the mess!

Just when I started to feel agitated about it, Manny came running up to me. 
"Mommy! Mommy!!  Did you see the tent?!  
He ran over to it and crawled underneath it's canopy.
"Look mommy!  It's really cool!!"

His little two year old voice just melted my heart.
I crawled in there with him to enjoy it for a few minutes and I felt like a kid again.


I decided the tent could stay for a while...let it be thoroughly enjoyed.  
Then I "spinned" off to the living room to tackle something else...the ever-present laundry!
Singing along with the music made the work go faster.  The goodness of God overwhelmed me.

"Thank you, Lord for my family, for my home and for the joy you give as I serve you here.
It's all for you."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...