December 24, 2012

Fun on Christmas break


It's still dark outside and I can hear the comforting sounds of rain.  I am taking a bit of a risk as I begin to write.  Isabel has already woken up twice this morning and then gone back to sleep...will she interrupt my happy typing with her cries?

I have been enjoying Christmas break immensely.  The "extra" time to get more accomplished and to finally make some things that I've wanted to make for a long time.

Like this...


[ Skip this part if the details about my pacy clip bore you ;) ]

I crocheted this pacy clip using the "MAM" attachment from the store-bought clip.  I love these pacy's but I do not like the clips that are sold for them.  The neat thing about this pacy is that you never have to be concerned that it is upside down unless you are particular about the picture on it.  I love the designs they have too.  

I found the metal clips on Amazon.  I like this clip much better than the "MAM" one.  It stays in place and it's not so bulky.  So anyway, I'm pretty happy with my end result here and look forward to experimenting with other designs.


And these...


{the only thing I might change would be the seam on the hood...hmmmm...how to do that on the next one?}

I found the fabric for these at the thrift store for a few dollars.  Amera searched online for a tutorial on how to make a child's cloak and we were on our way.  She cut the fabric out and I did the sewing.  You should have seen Manny the first time I put it on him.  He was so excited  and happily ran around the house in it.  His brother, Javi, was out with his Dad and sisters when I made them.  So it was very exciting to surprise him with the finished product when he got home.  I love how the cloaks came out!!  The boys look so cute together don't they?

My next plan is to use a king sized sheet to make a cape for Brienne and Clara.  The sheet is plum purple and I also found it at the thrift store.

I still haven't found the top sheet for the duvet cover I am planning to make.  I am looking for something in a light color with a pattern...the search continues.  Target maybe?

It's been so fun to create!


It has also been fun to wrap gifts and anticipate giving them...I love how the kids are all excited to give their gifts to each other.  What a blessing!  I enjoyed wrapping these things I found for Joelle.  It was fun to write little clues in an attempt to intrigue her even more as to what they contain.

I look forward to waking up in the morning and gathering in the living room in our PJ's to open gifts while a french toast casserole bakes in the oven.  I wrapped a little booklet with a tag that says "The greatest gift of all, Ephesians 2:8-9".  The little booklet is similar to a wordless book but it has a verse on each card to share the gospel with the kids.  Javier and I are looking forward to the opportunity to emphasize how God's gift of eternal life through his Son Jesus Christ is the most precious gift we could ever receive.

This Christmas break has included so many fun memories of being together.  Shopping for something special, creating things together (our latest kick: earrings), watching movies at night and not worrying about getting to bed because we know we can sleep in, snuggling on the couch, and laughing at all the funny things the kids do!  I love my kids!  And soon I will finally do a little holiday baking.  In fact, I think today is a good day to pull out the cookie cutters and bake some sugar cookies!

Merry Christmas to all!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...