December 29, 2012

Remembering my grandma


I'm up late sewing curtains for my bedroom.  I cut up a $3 king-sized sheet.  This is great, I am in my element.  I love finding things at the thrift store and giving them a new and useful purpose.  I love saving money on curtains.  I love that no one else will have the exact same curtains as I do.  Totally thrills me.

That is my grandma's sewing machine up there in that photo.  She wrote all the notes on those little labels.  I think of her every time I use it and remember how much she loved to sew.  I feel as though I didn't have enough time with her.  When she passed away, I was newly married with one child....wow, so much has happened since then.  I often wonder what it would be like to spend time with her now and to hear her hearty laughter.  I used to love it when she thought something was really funny and she would laugh so hard...I can still hear the wonderful sound.  

And that is my most profound memory of her.  Her laughter.  

I always felt so special when she would tell me about when I was little.  She would tell of how I knew all the nursery rhymes and how I fooled people in to thinking I could read because I had memorized the story.  A little deceptive of me, I know. ;)

Many times, she would remind me of the time we walked outside and when I saw the sunset I exclaimed "Beautiful!"  I know I was little, maybe about three (?)...anyway she thought it was the most wonderful thing. And I would smile every time she told me about it.  She would also tell of how my grandpa had taught me my colors with M&M's.  And I'm sure there were more things...if only I could remember.  Maybe mom does. ;)


It all makes me think of how short life is.  Sitting there at my grandmother's machine, the same machine that she sat at not very long ago.  She sewed things stitch by stitch, making special things for the people she loved and probably could not conceive of the day that she would not be with us and the truth is neither could we.  I am reminded to cherish the time that I have with my loved ones.  The memories that we make are precious indeed.  I sure miss my grandma.

In loving memory of my grandmother, Johnny Mae (1933-1999)



{  By the way, my mom later told me that I was two when that sunset inspired me to say "Beautiful!"  Man, that must have been so cute!  :)  }

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...