January 22, 2013

When a heart's cry becomes a prayer


A little group of women gathered in the kitchen to talk.  Personal struggles and burdens were shared.  They spoke of one of the deepest heartaches a mother can experience...having a grown child that has gone their own way and turned from the Lord.

In some small way I felt the pain of these moms.  The anguish they have felt and still feel is something I have not experienced but I can only imagine how painful it is.

Which of us would take it lightly that the children we have carried within our very own bodies, and nursed and held and taught the way of righteousness have rejected the truth?  Honestly, it grieves me and frustrates me now when my children are small.  I see their foolish choices and I think "How childish" and I hope and pray that when they grow up they will be wiser.  It seems like a natural progression doesn't it?  As parents, we know the dangers, the consequences, the potential outcomes and we want to pass on what we know...

Hear, my son, your father's instruction, and forsake not your mother's teaching, 
for they are a graceful garland for your head and pendants for your neck.  
My son, if sinners entice you, do not consent...

Be not wise in your own eyes;
fear the LORD, and turn away from evil.
It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones.
Proverbs 1:8-10, 3:7-8

Isn't this the cry of every Christian parent's heart? 

I know that I cannot make my children into Christians.  I cannot force them to love God.  There is no transaction that can guarantee that if I do Y--X amount of times then my children will turn out wholeheartedly loving God.  God is working in hearts and drawing people to himself.  Yet each individual bears a personal responsibility.  As a parent, I point out the way and make it as clear as possible.  My children must choose for themselves how they will respond.  It is a path that I cannot make them walk.

So I can teach, I can train, my concerns may turn to worry and then back to trust that my Father loves them even more than I do...but in all of this do I fervently pray for them?

And this was something that I was becoming increasingly aware of before I stood there in the kitchen with these ladies.  The fact that if I am going to be praying for anyone at all, then God forbid I neglect to pray for my children.  And when one of the ladies spoke the words "We need to do more battle in prayer", they were just what I needed to hear.  Because sometimes, I get comfortable.  Everything seems to be going along just fine and it is easy to forget about the fact that this is serious business.  It becomes easy to judge only by what I can see and forget that Satan prowls about like a roaring lion seeking to devour us whole (1 Peter 5:8).  He is vicious and vile and he shows no mercy.

I know that I can be much more engaged in this battle.  Satan and even our own flesh would deceive us.  Some might scoff at all this talk about Satan and sinful hearts but Christians know better.  We know the sobering truth.  How seriously are we taking it today?

How great is our need for the power of God in our lives?!  How little are we seeking him and how small are our requests?

It is true that I cannot make my children love God, but I can go to my loving God and pray on their behalf.  He hears my prayers.  And I can be assured that I am engaged in the battle but ultimately it belongs to the Lord.

Remember to pray for your children today, that their hearts would be tender to the Lord and responsive to wisdom and truth.  Pray for other families in your church.  For the moms and dads that are striving to make teaching their children about God a priority and for those who need to strive more.  Pray for families that are enduring the heartache of watching their grown children turn from the purity of the gospel to follow after sin and selfishness.  It is not too late for their children to realize they have gone the wrong way and turn back.  With God there is ALWAYS hope, healing and forgiveness.  I'm sure all this has brought to your mind many burdens that you can bring before the Lord in prayer.

Join me? 

2 comments:

  1. Good reminder, Marisha. I have wrestled with many of these thoughts through the years, raising our own children!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We miss you Gini! Thank you for reading along. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...