February 12, 2013

If time stopped {writing prompt}


Any other moms out there make plans to do certain things as soon as the kids are all falling asleep in their beds?  That was me yesterday.  I had so many plans.  But it was only about five minutes after I sat down in the recliner to read that my eyelids felt like they weighed about ten pounds each.  I began a series of falling asleep reading a paragraph, and waking up to reread the same paragraph.  Have you ever tried in vain to keep your eyes open?  The desire was there but I just couldn't seem to do it.  

[ Joelle is reading this lately, I'm just a little jealous..;) ]

As sleepy as I was, I still felt a kind of sadness.  I miss the days when I would (could!) consume a book.  I miss getting beyond one paragraph.  Oh sure, sometimes in the middle of the day I will make an attempt to get a chapter in...and sometimes I am successful.  But then there are constant interruptions.  Children calling my name, children needing me, work that needs to be done...and it seems to call my name too...


I have so many things I want to do in the quiet hours of the night that it's often hard to decide which one!  I am enjoying the creative projects I am (slowly but surely) working on.  More on that later.  

But one thing that I really want to do more is read.  Not only because I enjoy it, but also because it helps on so many levels.  I want to grow in my understanding of so many things.  I want my mind to get more exercise!  I long to read those books that are collecting a little dust on our shelves.  Hopefully, in time, I will.


But for now, our own little story is being written.  And I don't want to miss a single line.

It's quite an adventure, let me tell you!



Linking up for the writing prompt here: http://www.ellenstumbo.com/if-time-stopped/


2 comments:

  1. I do enjoy those hours at night when the kids are sleeping and I can read, write, or catch up on work!

    Unfortunately for me, if I pick up a book, it will be finished in a week. So I try to read at night, but me and reading, I have to make myself stop or I will keep going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like I problem that I wish I had! But I understand what you mean. No one wants to regret lack of sleep in the morning. :) Yesterday, I decided to squeeze in a couple chapters in the middle of the day. It was WONDERFUL! It won't always work to do that, but I have to seize those windows of opportunity when they come!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...