February 22, 2013

just between us {a mother/daughter journal}


When I saw this journal, I immediately thought of Joelle.  For one thing, she is beginning to appreciate writing and I want to encourage that.  Second, I am a firm believer in communicating well and often and this journal is a great way to spark that.  Third, it's just plain fun!

I'll tell you what I did.  I bought a pack of colorful pens to go along with this journal.  Then I was all set to present it to Joelle (in secret, away from all of her sibs).  I enthusiastically shared with her how it would work.  The whole time I was wondering what she would think of it.  Things can be hit or miss with Joelle.  She does not go for just about anything like some of my other children.  She was either going to love it or hate it.  I was hoping for the best.

A smile spread across her face as I told her about this special journal that would be "just between us".  I would write in it first, then place my ribbon bookmark in that place.  I would place the journal (and the pens) in a tote bag hanging in her closet and I would tell her "It's in the bag."  That's code for "You can read the journal now and please write back soon".  When she's finished writing back (on the opposite page that says "Daughter", she places it in my Bible bag and tells me the same thing.  

It has worked great so far.  I really like the illustrations and it's so colorful!  I enjoy the questions that prompt us to think and write about things that we might not have otherwise thought to talk about.  There are also many pages that are "Free Space" for just writing whatever you want and asking whatever you want.  I began with the latter.  I wrote her a little letter and asked her a few fun questions.  It was so neat to read her responses!  I smiled as I read what she wrote.  It really blessed me and I even learned new things about Joelle.

Obviously this journal is not meant to replace our face to face conversations.  But I see it as a fun way to enhance them and to discover even more about each other and all the thoughts that run through our minds.  Or at least those ones that we choose to share.  

Here are a few examples of what you will find: 

~Before I fall asleep, I think about...
~I often dream about...
~Have you ever let fear stop you from doing something you wanted to do?  Tell me about it.
~A note to my past self
~How you and I are the same
~How we are different
~Things I admire about you

I think you get the idea.  Joelle has already told me that she really likes this idea!  Yay! 

Maybe you could try this with your daughter?  You could even start something with a regular journal or notebook.  Imagine the possibilities!


[Disclaimer: It's fairly minor and easy to gloss over, but if I could remove one thing from this book it would be the worldly mindset that comes across when it assumes that most teenage girls are going to date and/or be boy crazy.  That is true of the culture we live in but it not something that we are cultivating in the hearts and minds of our girls.  We have open dialogue about these relationships, but we certainly do not encourage them to put themselves into situations that they are not ready to handle maturely.  Did I explain that well enough? :)  This aspect of the book does present an opportunity for me to talk about the choices people make in our culture and contrast that with the wisdom God gives in his Word.]




4 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea. What a special treasure this will be for both of you. I don't suppose Titus will want to write to his mom someday . . . Haha! Maybe I just better keep praying for a girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marisha, I love this idea, too! I'm definitely going to look into getting a journal for myself and my daughter, although she won't be able to do it with me for a few years...but what a great habit to create now, and hopefully to maintain through the teen years. Also, I just read your testimony. God is so good!! It's amazing how He works uniquely in our lives and how His timing is so perfect. Anyway, many blessings! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so fun, Jacqui! Many blessings to you as well! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...