February 18, 2013

Little getaways


Moving Amera's piano lesson to Thursday mornings has turned out to be a huge blessing for me.  It's amazing how one little change can make all the difference.  

I grab my bag and head out the door anticipating some quiet time while I wait.  In my "Bible bag" I have my Bible, Bible study books, journals, pens and my little camera.  It's very convenient to have everything in one place and so easy to grab when it's time to go.  I am learning to take advantage of opportunities to be refreshed.  I realize that my situation may be a little unique.  While I do have little ones, I also have a teen who babysits.  My husband is home during the day and can take care of the kids while I take Amera to piano.  But it wasn't always that way.  I remember when I used to tote my crew around everywhere I went...rarely, if ever, taking much time for myself.  I think it's important though, and maybe if we think about it a little more we can all find ways to carve out a little time to be quiet and to be alone.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to plan a two hour getaway just for you?  Once a month?  Maybe someone can watch the kids?  Your husband?  A baby sitter?  I think that for most of us it is possible.  

In the grocery store where I shop there is this wonderful section of magazines.  I know that they are full of ideas and inspiration.  There are also comfy chairs.  I often pass by it as I am headed to the check out line and I imagine sitting there skimming through them.  Home ideas, family fun, crochet projects, recipes...all at my fingertips.  

Recently, the idea came to me clear as day.  Why not plan to go there sometime (it's right across the street!) and just sit for an hour or more and be refreshed and inspired?  I can put the date on my calendar.  I can commit to it.  I'm pretty sure it would do wonders.

Another idea I had...my husband and I both love to read.  Sometimes carving out time for that can be a challenge, especially with no interruptions.  So, this past weekend I made a proposal.  

Wouldn't it be wonderful for us to take a book and just go read somewhere.  Consider it a little date?  Give me two hours of reading and I just might get through half of a book!  I'm having a hard time doing that lately. I totally had a hard time last night.  I could not get through a single paragraph and finally just went to bed.  But how wonderful would it be to set aside a couple hours, even just once a month, to get away and read?  We put so much on our calendars, why not this?  We could just drive somewhere and park.  We could go through the drive through, get some coffee and just park and pull out those books.  Does that sound as wonderful to you as it does to me? 

 ...I'm making plans...  ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...