February 20, 2013

Sometimes love is hard to give


Years ago when I was a new mother, I remember watching another mom at church holding her baby.  She was so tender toward him, the open palm of her hand gently rubbing his back, comforting him.  I can't quite explain it, but seeing her tenderness and love for her child made an indelible imprint on my heart.  I remember thinking "I want to be more like that.  I wanted to be more tender, more affectionate, more loving toward my family.  She was such an example to me in that moment.

I have had to grow in this area.  It has taken some effort.  I have always thought I was a pretty affectionate person, until I met my husband who has always challenged me to give more of myself.  Sometimes I have felt like I have reached some sort of limit with how much hugging I can handle.  There is still a little residue of that in me.  

Sometimes I am so focused on all that I need to do, that I don't stop and hug, or make eye contact, or give my full attention...Sometimes my husband or one of my children will reach out their arms to me and want a hug and I confess, sometimes I feel a difficult shifting of gears and I really have to check my attitude.  "Slow down Marisha, the task is not more important than the people."

Am I alone here?  Or is this kind of love sometimes hard to give?  I can look back over the years and see that it really boils down to my need to be more selfless and give of myself.  Those two things are not always easy to do, especially when it inconveniences you.  But loving my family is important to me and in many ways this desire was cultivated in my heart by the example of other women whom I saw loving their children.

I have never forgotten that tender moment where the mother held her baby.  I was learning from her as I watched her delighting in her child.  Before that, I had seen my share of women who griped and complained about their children and I have also had my share of struggles with my own attitude.  

Thankfully, loving our families more is something that we can learn and improve upon every day.  Do you want to give more to your loved ones?  Pray and ask God to help you to develop a more affectionate heart toward them.  Pray for more of an awareness and understanding of their needs, even if their needs may be a little different from your own.  


"Older women...are to teach what is good, and so train the young 
women to love their husbands and children."    Titus 2:3-4


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

We had a fun time on our little outing to Chick-fil-A.  As usual, I had to take some pictures. :)




I won the first round of BINGO!  Yay!  Now we have to decide 
if we really want to put a Chick-fil-A cow topper on our van's antenna. ;)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...