March 2, 2013

When opportunity knocks



He works late into the night.  When he wakes up around nine o'clock each morning and my day is already in full swing.  On this particular morning, Amera's piano lesson was canceled.  I had planned to cancel it because due to illness she has not gotten much practice anyway.  But her teacher beat me to it and called me the night before to cancel.  She had one of those opportunities where someone gives you tickets to someplace special and you just don't want to pass it up.  We laughed at how I was going to cancel anyway and at how well that worked out for both of us.  I told her, "Have fun!"

Being home that morning worked out to be a big blessing for me too.  Can I just tell you what one of my favorite things to do is?  I love to ask my husband about something I've been reading in the Bible.  

He was in the kitchen getting something to eat for breakfast (I'm telling you, our schedules are so unaligned) when I said "I have something I want to ask you about from Isaiah 55".  He didn't waste any time.   He grabbed his breakfast, I made sure the coffee was brewing and we sat down at our dining room table.  We could sneak this time in, right?  The kids had already accomplished much of their school work and were playing in various rooms of the house.  It was a perfect opportunity to take a little break.  And this was very important business. ;)

I love how excited he gets about teaching me the truths of the Bible.  I was falling in love with him all over again on that morning.   Sitting there at the table, eating my snack of Cheez-its.  Loving how he jumps right in to the opportunity to help me see the context of a passage...to try to understand what God is really saying in his Word.  He prompts me with questions, I search for the answers.  With each new discovery the excitement builds.  I see it!  Yes!  Thank you.

Now, I am falling more in love with Isaiah 55 with every line I read...and with God really.  Because the words are from his heart to mine.  

"Come everyone who thirsts."

Yes, I know it so well.  He satisfies the soul like no one and nothing else can.  It's one of the many reasons I love him so.  What would I do without God?

I cannot end without reminding you that God gives everyone the opportunity, even better, the INVITATION to come to him and to receive the forgiveness and eternal life that he freely offers to you.  He urges us, he pleads "Incline your ear, and come to me; hear, that your soul may live..."

And just a little more?  I have to tell you what he says in verses six and seven.  It's like a fire in my bones.  I am compelled by all the love, grace and compassion of God to tell you what he says in these verses. 

"Seek the LORD while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the LORD, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon."  He will abundantly pardon.

If you've ever wondered what the word repentance means, I think it's right there in a nutshell.  It's the way to God.  The only way.  I've been helping Clara (5yrs.) memorize it every day for "Kids 4 Truth".  Mark 1:15b "Repent and believe in the gospel."  The gospel is all about Jesus.  The perfect One gave his life for the imperfect ones.  God's glorious plan from the very beginning and more precious to me than anything else.

Consider reading Isaiah 55 soon?






1 comment:

  1. Is. 55 is an awesome chapter! God used verses 8-9 in a dramatic way in my life several years back. Definitely a chapter to revisit often. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...