March 16, 2013

Making blueberry pancakes and musing on a great God


Early this morning before the kids awoke and before the smell of blueberry pancakes filled the air, I was up studying Psalm 62.  I was inspired to look into it a little deeper after the second part of verse 10 was pointed out in the Ladies Bible Study we did this past week.  Our study was about having a content heart.  

"If riches increase, set not your heart on them."  

I began to look a little deeper at this Psalm, to ponder the verses before and the verses after that one.  This morning I decided to look at the whole Psalm.  

I began to jot down notes and before long the pages in my journal began to fill.  I knew I would want to share it all here.  I will share what I wrote in another post but for now I want to go back to those blueberry pancakes. ;) 

After pouring the batter on the griddle I remembered the box of books that my husband had ordered.  One of them is "Knowing God" by J.I. Packer.  While I stood there in the kitchen and while my kids watched the traditional Saturday morning movie, I began to devour that book.  Just to give you an idea of how long I stood there grilling pancakes...I triple the recipe for our family!  So it takes a little while.  I have often felt like I have little time to read books.  I even wrote a post lamenting that fact.  But lately I have found that there are little windows of opportunity to read if I look for them.  It may not always involve me cozy under a blanket in my recliner but where there's a will there's a way.  And this morning for me it was while making blueberry pancakes.  

I had to force myself to put the book down whenever I had to pour more batter onto the griddle.  I actually made it all the way to page 22!  It was so exciting to me because the theme ran right along with what I was thinking and writing about earlier in the morning.  I'll leave you with the words that introduced chapter one of the book.  They are the words of C.H. Spurgeon.  I read them with an "Amen!" resounding in my heart.

"Oh, there is, in contemplating Christ, a balm for every wound; in musing on the Father, there is a quietus for every grief; and in the influence of the Holy Ghost, there is a balsam for every sore.  Would you lose your sorrow?  Would you drown your cares?  Then go, plunge yourself in the Godhead's deepest sea; be lost in his immensity; and you shall come forth as from a couch of rest, refreshed and invigorated.  I know nothing which can so comfort the soul; so calm the swelling billows of sorrow and grief; so speak peace to the winds of trial as a devout musing upon the subject of the Godhead."

And as J.I. Packer said (this book was published in 1973) "These words spoken over a century ago by C.H. Spurgeon (at that time, incredibly, only twenty years old) were true then, and they are true now."

We can say the same here in 2013.  We have an almighty, unchangeable God indeed.

<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>

Once in a while I read a chapter while I watch Isabel (out of the corner of my eye!) taking her bath.
I


Two more helpful tips:

~I am enjoying my "Book Gem"It holds my book open for me so that I can snag opportunities to read while I'm using my hands to do other things.  While cooking, applying makeup, folding laundry, you get the idea.

~I like to use little sticky tabs.  Whenever I start a book I put about ten of them in the back.  One, I use for a bookmark.  No more losing my place when one of my children picks up my book and out falls the bookmark!  The others I use to mark places I want to remember or go back to later.  No more forgetting where in the world that awesome paragraph is!  I like to share what I read with my husband and my kids so this method works very well for me.  It also prevents dog-earring the pages and I don't have to worry if I can't find my highlighter because all the tabs are stuck in the back of the book!  

Have a blessed weekend!  And maybe you could even squeeze in a little time to read? ;)



1 comment:

  1. Blueberry pancakes and immersing yourself in the truths of God... what a perfect morning! (:
    (The book you mentioned by J.I.Packer was a textbook for me in college; great book.)
    My husband is systematically reading through all of Spurgeon's sermons. He is enjoying that immensely and often shares quotes from him. Thank you for sharing this one; such a powerful reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...